Forum Name: Pancreatic Cancer

Question: Information about gemzar

archi - Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:19 pm

i had an operation in 18 june 2003, pancreatectomie elargie, so i have a cancer in pancreas, my doctor gave me a chemioterapie 5 fu, and a radiotherapie about 25 times... i finished the treatment now and i am fine but i love to know more about the gemsar his efficacity and the different between gemsar and 5 cfu. i know that time to survive in this kind of cancer is very low so please if you can help with any information you find usufull to me to help.
thank you a lot
 Dr. Jeffrey Gordon - Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:18 am

Archi,

Thanks for your post here at The Doctor's Lounge. I hope that you are doping well after your treatment.

Gemcitabine has been studied in comparison to 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) and in combination. As single drugs in treating pancreas cancer, there is no particulr observed difference in efficacy or tolerability. However, there appears to be some advantage with combining gemcitabine with other drugs, such as cisplatin. This advantage is modest and there is the potential for increased toxicity. There are interesting clinical research studies being done looking into different ways of giving the gemcitabine. One way is the standard short infusion by vein. The other is to prolong the infusion over hours. Only further research will give us more information.

My best to you.

Jeffrey A. Gordon, M.D.

|