News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: lump above collar bone

Kay4 - Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:51 pm

I found a hard pea-sized lump about an inch above my collar bone. Went to Dr. she said it was a swollen lymph node. I'm seeing a surgeon Friday the 30th for a consultation about a biopsy of the node. I've been very tired and no energy for last 6 to 8 months. All tests have come back normal- Dr also ran a CBC and it was normal. If this is a Lymphoma- is it possible to have a normal CBC? I also notice lately it feels like I have some trouble swollowing foods, and feel some pressure on my Trachea? But not always.

The lymph node feels very hard and doesn't move. Alos is not tender. Is it possible to have a swollen lymph node above collar bone just from infection? Or is this indicator of cancer? My Dad's brother had Hodgkins at age 20 - I have no known infections right now.

Thanks for any info!!
 DeLWolcott - Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:37 pm

I found one of those about a year ago and freaked out also. Internet searches didn't help my fear.

The good side - this lump has disappeared on its own. Lymph nodes can swell because of irritations, not just infections. This is not a positive sign for cancer.

Since you do have a family history of cancer it would be in your best interest to have it checked thoroughly just in case, but there a better chance that this will resolve on its own. The fact that you have a tightness in your throat makes me wonder if you are experiencing allergies, seasonal or food. Post-nasal drip can cause this feeling sometimes.

Until you see your physician, keep a log of everything you notice you are feeling during this time. Everything from itchy eyes to tooth pain. It will help your physician during this process and could also help you narrow the possible causes down yourself.

Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here