News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: strange headaches and enlarged lymph node on left side of ne

Nicfrillo - Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:37 am

I am experiencing strange headaches that feel like muscular pain whenever I move my head and when I stand up my head throbs severly. My neck also feels very stiff at times. I have had a low grade fever and the other morning I woke up and had a very swollen lymph node on the left side of my neck. I went to see the doctor who put me on antibiotics (clindamycin) even though my WBC count was normal and told me to expect the lymph node to go down in 2 to 3 days. I am Type One diabetic and have Graves disease. I am concerned because the lymph node is swollen only on the left side, I have no evidence there is an infection, the node is not painful, I cannot move it, and it feels rubbery. I have no sore throat but have been feeling very fatigued for the past few days and have a decreased appetite. Should I be concerned?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:46 am

User avatar Hi Nicfrillo,
Have you had a re-evaluation regarding the lymph node enlargement since your treatment with the course of antibiotics was completed? Stony-hard nodes are typically a sign of cancer, usually metastatic. Very firm, rubbery nodes suggest lymphoma. Softer nodes are the result of infections or inflammatory conditions. Suppurant nodes may be fluctuant. The term "shotty" refers to small nodes that feel like buckshot under the skin, as found in the cervical nodes of children with viral illnesses. A group of nodes that feels connected and seems to move as a unit is said to be "matted." Nodes that are matted can be either benign (e.g., tuberculosis, sarcoidosis or lymphogranuloma venereum) or malignant (e.g., metastatic carcinoma or lymphomas). The presence of fever is commonly associated with infections. However, constitutional symptoms such as fever, weight loss, fatigue or night sweats could also suggest disorders such as tuberculosis, lymphoma, collagen vascular diseases, unrecognized infection or malignancy. Keep in mind that lymph nodes that become enlarged due to bacterial/viral infection may not return to their pre-infectious size after the infection subsides. An increase in nodal size on serial examinations is significant. If you have had no improvement of symptoms or they have continued to worsen over a period of time I would suggest that you notify your physician for an evaluation.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here