Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Pain after breast cancer diagnosis

sunnyskye - Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:38 pm

Hello. I am hoping for some insight as to whether I do or do not have symptoms that related to my past history of breast cancer. I had a lumpectomy in 8/02 and a resection on 9/02 with 6 weeks of radiation, 5 days per week (3 lymph nodes removed, all negative for cancer - sentinle node biopsy). I came out of all of that very healthy and very well. My HER2 results and my receptor results prevented me from being a candidate for any hormone drugs. So I am not taking anything. My diagnosis was an agressive form of ductal carcinoma along with dcis in the right breast (.9 mm in size found as microcalcifications on a routine mamogram). I'm 47 and no one in my family has ever had breast cancer. However, my grandmother is a 30 year colon cancer survivor and my grandfather died from cancer of the lymph nodes (both my mom's parents). I am examined every 3 months and have a mamo every 6 months.

During the past 6 weeks I have been having some other problems which I attributed to normal things but because the problems are getting persistently worse, I find myself writing for information and advice here. At times I feel like my insides are on fire. Sometimes the pain/burning sensation is directly underneath of my right shoulder blade and penetrates straight thru to the front at the top of my right rib cage. It does not hurt on my side at all just striaght thru the middle. The other night after dinner, I had such severe pains in my abdomen and my back that I can only compare it to labor pains. That, several hours later, went away and left a sore kind of feelin inside my abdomen. This morning I woke up and my entire back and abdomen felt like it was on fire until I got up and moved around a bit and relieved myself. Any information as to what this may be would be deeply appreciated. I do have an appointment scheduled with my primary care physician but am beginning to wonder if it could be related to a metasasis of the breast cancer?

Thank you
 adolfo_fa - Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:11 am

I'm a surgical onclogist in Mexico City and my development area is breast cancer.
The symptoms that you have are named postmastectomy neuritis. Even when your surgeon didn't remove all the lymph nodes the approach to axilla sometimes induces this kind of result. In that case you need only an antineuritic, which will be since something so simple as vitamin B12.
The abdominal symptoms sound me like spastic colitis. I will suggest you to look your doctor for a prokinetic drug to give you a better movement on your bowel. If is necessary, stool tests will be useful.
None of the symptoms are related commonly to metastatic disease. Don't worry about it. Sometimes the start of a symptom induces a stress response like colitis.
Regards,

Adolfo Fuentes, MD

|