Forum Name: Leukemia

Question: Could it be Leukemia?

smiling 1809 - Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:23 pm

A few weeks ago, I was suffereing from an intermittent febrile illness. I would get fever, aches and chills intermittently over the period of a few weeks. I would feel heinous when I got the fever. I also have had continous upper left quadrant pain right where my spleen isIt would go up to 103. I lost 10 lbs. One day I went to the ER b/c I just couldn't even walk. They gave me a blood test and told me I was fine but I needed to see my doctor. They wouldn't let me go until they called him. They were acting weird.

I went into my doc a few days later and he said I that my WBC was normal, but that I had myelocytes (4) in my blood and I had some abnormal rbc morphology along with a very high monocyte count and a high count of band cells. My platelet count is normally in the high 300's, but it was around 160 last time. I had some red spots under my skin on my bicep. My dr. did repeat blood work and found the same thing again, plus, my liver enzymes were elevated the last time. I don't know the specifics of which enzymes were elevated, but my doc said he hoped it wasn't leukemia.

I'm going in for more specific blood work, but am a little freaked out by him saying that. Are there other things that can cause this type of problems/blood work results?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:08 pm

User avatar Dear smiling 1809,

CBC and blood differential test measure the number of all blood elements as well as the relative numbers of white blood cells (WBCs) in the blood.

Specific changes in the white blood cell count can indicate certain medical condition such as infection, inflammation, or blood malignancies.

Bacterial infections shows characteristics increase in the number of early formed neutrophils(staff) what we call shift to the left.

Certain viral infections produce changes in all blood elements and in the morphology of blood cells.

Morphological and numerical changes in other blood elements are indicative also of certain medical diseases..

Persistent changes and the presence of large immature cells named Blast cells are indicative of blood diseases including leukemia. In such cases bone marrow analysis is a mandatory test to reach the diagnosis.

Complete clinical examination and body imaging is of utmost importance to check for splenomegally hepatomegaly lymphadenopathy.

I advise you to repeat you blood tests and to follow up with your doctor.

|