Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Doctor Found a lump but I am only 20.

youngone - Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:22 am

I went for my yearly checkup and my doctor found a lump in my breast. There is no history of breast cancer in my family and I am only 20 years old. She said that it may go away after my next period but it has not. Should I be concerned and have it checked out even though my doctor did not seemed concerned?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:06 am

User avatar Hi youngone,
Fibrocystic breast changes (benign) may affect women of any age but commonly affect women during childbearing years. Typical symptoms may be areas of tenderness, lumpiness or cysts that become more tender just prior to the menstrual cycle. The texture of a cyst is somewhat different from other breast anomalies. There is research that may prove an association between fibrocystic breast changes and breast cancer not because of the cyst's themselves but the possibility of these changes obscuring identification of a suspicious lesion. Risk factors are also taken into consideration during an evaluation. This most likely is the reason that your physician was not concerned at that point but you may want to inform your physician that the "cyst" is still present and at that time, she may elect to order an ultrasound to evaluate the area. Women in their 20's-30's have breasts that are significantly more dense than older women, so a mammogram would be of limited value. Again, contact your physiican and alert her that the area is still present and causing concern.
 youngone - Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:28 am

Thank you so much for all your help. I am going to give it another week and see how things feel then. Thanks for everything.
 master - Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:38 am

don't worry . the propability that this lumb may be cancerous is very low. just continue follw up with your physician .
 Nicjean - Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:05 pm

For the past 2 months little red swollen glands would appear underneath my left arm pit. They would come and go about every 2-3 weeks. I went to a doctor and they felt around and found a bump or a swollen gland that was much larger and did not hurt. I had an x-ray done and everything was normbal but I have an aultrasound this week and I am extremely scared. My mother had breast cancer after her metapause around age 50. I am only 19 and will be 20 with in a couple weeks. What are the chances that I could have breast cancer? I do not have any night sweats or nausea. Please help. Thankyou.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:02 am

User avatar Hi Nicjean,
I am glad to hear that your physician is being cautious due to your family history. It would be an impossibility to state whether or not cancer is present. However, cysts (fluid filled or solid) are not an uncommon finding in younger women and although of course, warrants an investigation, they often turn out to be of a benign nature. The ultrasound is not a painful procedure and is a diagnostic tool used especially in younger women to detect breast changes. Mammograms are typically not definitive in diagnosis because the density of the breast obscures specific findings. Good Luck with your diagnostics and I hope if your time permits you will consider posting an update.

|