Forum Name: Esophageal Cancer

Question: Bad Taste in Mouth

Emit444 - Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:44 pm

I am a 57 year old female, I am not on any Med's. But I continue having this problem. My mouth feels like I am sucking on a lemon all the time.If I bite into food, it feels like I just bit into a lemon. I did a little research online and I don't have dry mouth, but I do have more saliva than usual.
Thank you
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:55 pm

User avatar Dear Emit444,

Episodic hypersalivation and abnormal taste can be seen in many conditions including:
- Gastroesophageal reflux (GER).
- Hiatus hernia.
The mechanism is believed to be through the esophagosalivary reflex mediated by vagal afferents and the stimulus is the irritant content of the stomach on the esophagus. This aims to neutralize the acidic contents of the stomach with the alkaline secretions of the salivary glands

In addition to,
-Most of the problems in the mouth such as dental decay, ulcers or tonsillitis result in increased production of the saliva .
-CNS control plays an important role in the regulation of salivation, thus psychological factors like anxiety or excitement also play a role in the increased production of saliva.

A small stone in the duct of the salivary gland gives a similar picture.

I advise you to be checked by your consultant to receive the proper medical care.

|