News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: Intermittent diarrhea and constipation

polly82 - Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:33 am

Hello,

I'm really worried about change in my bowel habits, and as I saw a lot of information about cancer on the internet i started to worry that maybe my symptoms can be a cause to worry. I'm sorry if I'm just being paranoid, but I'd be really thankful if you could evaluate them and say if I should visit a doctor.

I'm 23 years old female. I started to have problems with my stool four months ago. In June I had diarrhea caused by exam stress, which lasted a month and thats usual for me. But afterwards things hadn't returned to normal as they did in the past. I started having intermittent hard small stools (about 2 sm in diameter) few times each day and really soft normal sized stools (which look like mild diarrhea and have foul smell and some undigested food in them); sometimes I have normal sized hard stools which appear to be made of small pieces glued together. I hadn't have one normal stool since that time. Today after I passed a hard stool I noticed some clear discharge on the toilet paper (i think it was mucus). So now I'm really worried about what it may be. I have stool everyday. I have no pains, indigestion or other symptoms. My bloodtests, which I did not long ago for other reason, are normal except for slightly elevated indirect bilirubin levels which I think doesn't have anything to do with my question but still I list it.

So I wanted t ask if I have to see the doctor with this problem, or am I just being paranoid and should wait till it resolves itself on it's own? I'm just ashamed to ask him since maybe it's a minor problem and I'm just inflating things. Thanks in advance for answering. I'll really appreciate your help.
 angel2close - Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:29 pm

Polly, just the fact that you are so worried regarding your change in bowel habits is enough of a reason to see your doctor. Even if you have IBS / Irritable Bowel Syndrome, at least your mind will be put at ease. Worrying / "nerves" alone may cause changes in our bodies physical funcions. See your doctor and make yourself feel better physically and emotionally.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here