Forum Name: Leukemia

Question: Chronic elevated WBC over ten years

sunflower3344 - Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:47 am

I am 40 years old and have had WBC's between 12.-24. over the course of the past ten years.( I have had two bone marrow extractions 1996 & 2003. Both normal. Recent Labs- Oct 11'05
were:
WBC 18.8-
Manual diffs
Polys 80
Lymphs10
Momos 6
EOS 4
Other abnormal results:
PltCt 580
RDW 14.7

This is my third trip to an Oncologist per my Gen. Practioner.
First visit: More blood tests rule out luekemia/his thoughts>NO
I have been sick for 4 years now. Had to quit my job of 20 years due to following:
Chronic Fatigue (upwards 16 hrs.per day sleep)
Fibromyalgia(diagnosis '03.)
Growth Hormone Defiecency (inject .5 Genotropin PM)
Hypothyroidism (.15 synthroid)
GERD (Protonix 40mg)
Sleep Apnea (use CPAP)
Teeth problems (due dry mouth) meds?
Severe acne/skin problems (don't heal, same sores 6 mnths)
Depression (medication daily)
Lack of concentration /memory loss
No appetite (- 20 lbs 6 weeks) Force self to eat
Naseau (feeling of going to vomit)
Severe Night Sweats
Wake up in middle night-CRAVE Chocolate-WHY? don't ever eat chocolate otherwise
Nightmares
Feeling of constant anxiety/panicky
NO Libido
Procedures:
Mammogram: normal
cat scan: normal
MRI- normal
Brain scan-normal
Colonoscopy-1 small benign polyp

I have been so sick for way to long now. I do feel like a hypochondriac due to mulitple health issues and complaints.
3 years ago I was working upwards to 12 hours a day/8 of which standing/plus traveling. No doctor/specialists have been able to figure this out. I am so sick of being sick. Any insight would be appreciated.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:00 am

User avatar Hi sunflower3344,
After alerting one of the physician's on the forum (medicare), a specialist in Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine, the following information and questions were advised.
Opinion:
The results of October 11, 2005 show neutrophil leukocytosis (abnormal increase of a type of white blood cell) with thrombocytosis (abnormal increase of platelets). This may indicate an infective focus. The skin sores could be a cause of neutrophil leukocytosis - has the aetiology of these sores been determined, such as by culture of skin swabs and biopsy?
The severe night sweats and weight loss - have you been investigated for Tuberculosis (pulmonary and extrapulmonary) and HIV? What is your ESR (Erythrocyte sedimentation rate)? Have you had a Chest X-ray evaluation and what were the results? What areas were investigated by CT scan and MRI scan apart from the brain scan? We hope this has been somewhat helpful and will watch for an updated post.

My appreciation again to you medicare for your information and guidance, otherwise I would not have had the ability nor knowledge to make this post.
 sunflower3344 - Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:39 am

Rntdj,
I am working on compiling some data to further assist in evaluating my condition. I have had all of these tests you had mentioned. I am going to get back to you Tuesday as I am compiling the results of these tests. I also have been working on compiling lab data from the time of the start of the elevated WBC.It has been a big eye iopener when I look at the Metabolic tests and the CBC tests and the consistent reoccurence of the same abnormal results. I think this can be easily overlooked when you have seen so many Doctors as I have. This past year I have had the same Doctor responsible for all Labs and overseeing my Fibromyalgia and General health. Prior to that I had the same Doctorr for 2 years also.Unforetunately niether has been able to give it a name. [ Therefore the past 3 or so years should be more consistent. I will share this with you tommorrow. Thanks again for your urgency in responding. It gives me a sense of hope of finding the true reason why i have been sick for so long. A view from the outside.
Thanks Sunflower

|