News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lung Cancer

Question: RFA or Cyberknife

Karhart - Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:44 pm

Thank you for your reply to my earlier post. My husbands last CT scan showed slight growth in one of the liver tumors. More troubling is suggested possible new small ones. We do not know how many he has, but they have been measuring 2 and remarking on multiple others.

My ? is could having a procedure such as RFA or cyberknife on the larger tumors extend his life? He does not have any symptoms from the liver tumors. His small lung nodules are stabe. I realize that getting rid of the bigger tumors will not help with the other smaller ones. It does seem that it would at least slow down the progression in his liver. Right now I am just trying to but time. How much of your liver can be compromised and still be able to function? Thank you so much for your very informative site.
 Dr. A. De la Guerra - Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:40 pm

User avatar Karen,

Unfortunately, based on current scientific evidence, I cannot tell you if reducing the tumor’s burden will slow down the progression in his liver. There have not been many reports of liver metastasectomy after treatment for lung cancer. Reports published before 1988 did not consider that resection of metastases was worthwhile. More recent reports have been more favorable and this reflects the improvements in liver surgery that have since taken place.

There are guidelines as to which patients can have surgery for liver metastases. In general patients should have 5 or less separate metastatic sites to the liver. These need to be localized in one area such that they can be removed. A functional portion of the liver will need to remain, approximately 2/3rds of the liver can be resected and due to the liver's regenerative capacity a patient with a normal liver prior to surgery can do quite well.

Surgery for metastatic disease to the liver is not indicated when there are multiple tumors or extrahepatic disease is present, because to achieve control of disease progression we need to get rid of all the tumors. Chemotherapy is the best treatment option in those cases, or if disease is stable and there are no symptoms, maybe just follow-up and take care of the problems as they appear.

I wish the best for you and your husband.

Sincerely, Dr_Torax.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here