Advertisement
 

doctorslounge.com

 
Powered by
Careerbuilder

 

                    Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

   News via RSS

   Newsletter

   Oncology

   News

 

 Conferences


   CME

   Forum Archives

   Diseases

   Symptoms

   Labs

   Procedures

   Drugs

   Links
   Specialties

   Cardiology

   Dermatology

   Endocrinology

   Fertility

   Gastroenterology

   Gynecology

   Hematology

   Infections

   Nephrology

   Neurology

   Oncology

   Orthopedics

   Pediatrics

   Pharmacy

   Primary Care

   Psychiatry

   Pulmonology

   Rheumatology

   Surgery

   Urology

   Other Sections

   Membership

   Research Tools

   Medical Tutorials

   Medical Software

 

 Headlines:

 
 

Back to index

ESHAP regimen

Abstract: ESHAP--an effective chemotherapy regimen in refractory and relapsing lymphoma: a 4-year follow-up study.

PURPOSE: This study attempted to determine the efficacy of the combination of etoposide (VP-16), methyl-prednisolone, and cytarabine (Ara-C) with or without cisplatin in relapsing and refractory adult lymphoma patients. PATIENTS AND METHODS: The first 63 patients were randomized to receive VP-16 40 mg/m2/d for 4 days, methylprednisolone 500 mg intravenously daily for 5 days, and Ara-C 2 g/m2 intravenously over 2 to 3 hours on day 5 with or without cisplatin 25 mg/m2 IV administered by 24-hour infusion for 4 days (ESHA +/- P). Markedly different responses between ESHA (33%) and ESHAP (75%) led to deletion of the ESHA arm. A total of 122 patients on the ESHAP regimen were studied. RESULTS: Forty-five patients (37%) attained a complete remission (CR) and 33 (27%) attained a partial remission (PR), for a total response rate of 64%. The median duration of CR was 20 months, with 28% of remitters still in CR at 3 years. The overall median survival duration was 14 months; the survival rate at 3 years was 31%. Overall time to treatment failure (TTF) showed 10% of all patients to be alive and disease-free at 40 months. Response and survival rates were similar in patients with low-grade (n = 34), intermediate-grade (n = 67), transformed (n = 18), and high-grade (n = 3) lymphoma. The most significant factors for response and survival by multivariate analysis were the serum lactic dehydrogenase (LDH) level, tumor burden, and age (when analyzed as a continuous variable), while prior CR was highly significant by univariate analysis. A significant difference in survival was noted for patients with normal LDH levels and low- or intermediate-tumor burden or patients with low tumor burden and elevated LDH levels (55% 3-year survival rate) versus patients with elevated LDH levels and intermediate or high tumor burden (< 20%). Major toxicities included myelosuppression, with a median granulocyte count of 500/microL and platelet count of 70,000/microL. CONCLUSION: ESHAP was found to be an active, tolerable chemotherapy regimen for relapsing and refractory lymphoma. Applying a prognostic model based on tumor burden and serum LDH level shows significant differences in survival in this patient population.

References

Velasquez WS, McLaughlin P, Tucker S, Hagemeister FB, Swan F, Rodriguez MA, Romaguera J, Rubenstein E, Cabanillas F. ESHAP--an effective chemotherapy regimen in refractory and relapsing lymphoma: a 4-year follow-up study. J Clin Oncol. 1994 Jun;12(6):1169-76.

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)
 

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

Doctors Lounge Membership Application


Regimen

VP-16....... 40 mg / M2 IV (over 1 h) days 1-4
Methylprednisolone....... 500 mg IV (over 15 min) days 1-4
Cytarabine....... 2000 mg / M2 IV (over 2 h) day 5
Cisplatin....... 25 mg / M2 CIV (over 96 h) days 1-4
FREQUENCY every 21-28 days.

     
  Summary  
  Overall Response Rate  
  Progression Free Survival  
  Overall Survival  
  Toxicity  
     

Article reviewed by:

Dr. Tamer Fouad, M.D.

 

 advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

 

 



We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2012 DoctorsLounge. All rights reserved.