Back to index
Cisplatin - cyclophosphamide regimen
Abstract: Cyclophosphamide plus cis-platinum in combination: treatment program for stage III or IV ovarian carcinoma.
A randomized prospective comparison of treatment with cyclophosphamide and that with cyclophosphamide and cisplatinum, each in 21 patients with advanced ovarian cancer, has shown that the time to progression of tumor and the duration of survival were markedly improved in the patients receiving the combination chemotherapy. Cytoreductive surgery was performed in most of the patients in the study before the chemotherapy regimen was initiated. Second-look surgery was performed after a year of chemotherapy. The chemotherapy was administered on an outpatient basis, without excessive toxicity. At 2 years, 52.4% of the patients receiving combination therapy had no progression of tumor, whereas 9.5% had no progression of tumor in the group of patients receiving a single alkylating agent. Survival at 2 years was 61.9% for the combination chemotherapy group and 19.0% for those treated with cyclophosphamide alone. The study demonstrates a striking superiority of combination chemotherapy over single-agent chemotherapy in patients with advanced ovarian cancer.
Decker DG, Fleming TR, Malkasian GD Jr, Webb MJ, Jeffries JA, Edmonson JH. Cyclophosphamide plus cis-platinum in combination: treatment program for stage III or IV ovarian carcinoma. Obstet Gynecol. 1982 Oct;60(4):481-7.
|Original regimen as described
Cyclophosphamide....... 1000 mg / M2 IV day 1
More recent regimens:
Cyclophosphamide....... 600 mg / M2 IV day 1
Cyclophosphamide....... 750 mg / M2 IV day 1
|Summary||Cisplatin - cyclophosphamide vs. cyclophosphamide in stage III & IV ovarian cancer.|
|Progression Free Survival||@ 2 years 52.4% v. 9.5%|
|Overall Survival||@ 2 years 61.9% v. 19.0%.|
|Article reviewed by:||
Dr. Tamer Fouad, M.D.
Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?
Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community
Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.
Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.