Back to cancer staging index
Cancer Staging Systems
Staging of Liver Cancer
Last Update: Sunday January 4th, 2004 7:15 PM GMT
Primary tumor (T)
- TX: Primary tumor cannot be assessed
- T0: No evidence of primary tumor
- T1: Solitary tumor without vascular invasion
- T2: Solitary tumor with vascular invasion or
multiple tumors none more than 5 cm
- T3: Multiple tumors more than 5 cm or tumor
involving a major branch of the portal or hepatic vein(s)
- T4: Tumor(s) with direct invasion of adjacent organs
other than the gallbladder or with perforation of the visceral
Regional lymph nodes (N)
- NX: Regional lymph nodes cannot be assessed
- N0: No regional lymph node metastasis
- N1: Regional lymph node metastasis
Distant metastasis (M)
- MX: Distant metastasis cannot be assessed
- M0: No distant metastasis
- M1: Distant metastasis
Are you a doctor or a nurse?
Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?
Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and
give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.
Click on the link below to see the requirements:
Doctors Lounge Membership
- Liver (including intrahepatic bile ducts). In: American Joint
Committee on Cancer.: AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. 6th ed. New York,
NY: Springer, 2002, pp 131-8.