Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: MRI of Lumbosacral spine

paragem - Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:40 am

I am a paraplegic as a result of spinal cord injury in 1994. I suffer terribly with internal leg and back pain. I have had an intrathecal pump for pain since 1999
I recently had an MRI. Could you please help me decipher the report?
Intrathecal catheter, tip as T12 level
Moderate narrowing of L3-4, L4-5 disc spaces with moderate spurring. Disc gas at L5-S1, advanced DDD. Early osteo signs

Thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

paragem
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:07 pm

User avatar Dear paragem,

Wish this would be clear to make you understand the report. However, I would like to emphasize that MRI results are very important in the diagnosis of vertebral changes, but the clinical picture, I mean your complaints and the physical examination are more important in determine the management.

DDD refers to degenerative disc disease, a gradual deterioration of the disc between the vertebrae in turn narrow disc space.

Degeneration of the disc tissue makes the disc more susceptible to herniation.
Each disc is formed of a central gel-like inside (nucleus pulposus), surrounded by an outer ring (annulus fibrosus).

When this softer component rupture (herniate) through the outer ring it press directly on nerve roots and irritate adjacent nervous tissue.

The sentences you have wrote means:

- The tube is inserted at the level of the thoracic vertebrae number 12.
- Mild Narrowing in the disc space at the level of the lumber vertebrae with moderate bone changes in the form of bony growths (spurs).

Severe degenerative changes at the level between the last lumber and the first sacral vertebrae. Again, with early bony growths.

|