News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: MRI of Lumbosacral spine

paragem - Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:40 am

I am a paraplegic as a result of spinal cord injury in 1994. I suffer terribly with internal leg and back pain. I have had an intrathecal pump for pain since 1999
I recently had an MRI. Could you please help me decipher the report?
Intrathecal catheter, tip as T12 level
Moderate narrowing of L3-4, L4-5 disc spaces with moderate spurring. Disc gas at L5-S1, advanced DDD. Early osteo signs

Thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

paragem
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:07 pm

User avatar Dear paragem,

Wish this would be clear to make you understand the report. However, I would like to emphasize that MRI results are very important in the diagnosis of vertebral changes, but the clinical picture, I mean your complaints and the physical examination are more important in determine the management.

DDD refers to degenerative disc disease, a gradual deterioration of the disc between the vertebrae in turn narrow disc space.

Degeneration of the disc tissue makes the disc more susceptible to herniation.
Each disc is formed of a central gel-like inside (nucleus pulposus), surrounded by an outer ring (annulus fibrosus).

When this softer component rupture (herniate) through the outer ring it press directly on nerve roots and irritate adjacent nervous tissue.

The sentences you have wrote means:

- The tube is inserted at the level of the thoracic vertebrae number 12.
- Mild Narrowing in the disc space at the level of the lumber vertebrae with moderate bone changes in the form of bony growths (spurs).

Severe degenerative changes at the level between the last lumber and the first sacral vertebrae. Again, with early bony growths.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here