Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: back pain

shnncof - Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:20 pm

My son who is 8 has had a backache for about a year now.It started out minor and now is chronic.It is around the end of the thoracic vertebrae and then into the lumbar part.Not all the way down though just about 3 inches total length of pain.It hurts to press on the spine or right beside it but nowhere else.Dr. had a regular x-ray which was fine and then he had a bone scan and it is normal. All the Dr. kept mentioning was cancer but will not do the CT scan now due to other Dr.s in the office feeling diiferent about what may be wrong.One wants a CT scan one says nothing one says physical therapy and let them find it.So my question is what could it be with the 2 tests he had already being normal?Can it still be cancer? What test would 100% rule out something like that and if he has had the backche for over 6 months isn't it unlikely to still be cancer? He has not sustained any injury and is to the point he lays on the couch all day after school and at school the teachers are not able to get him to play or do anything.Seems serious to me if it is hurting so bad but again I am no Dr. and just a very worried mom.The thought of cancer scares me and I have no idea what else to do but continue to fight with the Dr.s until one can make up their minds! He is otherwise a healthy little boy who just wants to be able to play again and I just would like to not worry as bad.If anyone has suggestions or answers to my questions or ANYTHING I GREATLY could use it.
Thanks,
Shannon
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:16 pm

User avatar Dear shnncof,

The majority of back pain in children are due to soft tissue damage (such as muscles, ligaments and tendons), which is caused mainly by overuse or strain.

A new form of injury in school-age children is the overuse injuries and back strain that results from carrying too heavy back packs.

If the pain after conservative measures and avoidance of re-injury or there are other symptoms suggestive of (infection or tumor), further work-up should be done and consultation of specialist is warranted.

MRI is of choice to exclude causes like Spondylolysis,Spondylolisthesis and disc injuries.
Scoliosis is a rare cause of back pain.

Follow up with your doctor is essential.
Hope you find this information useful.
 shnncof - Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:38 pm

Thanks for a reply.It has been awhile since I posted but I did decide to take my son to the Dr. and they did blood work which all came back fine.So it was them suggested to have a bone scan done and we did which showed nothing at all.He had an x-ray which was also normal and then he had a CT or MRI not sure which but it was also normal.We were told by Orthopedic specialists there was nothing there but yet my son STILL suffers in agony with back pain AND just the other day the area in which hurts him was swollen and red and was very noticeable.He does nothing for this to hurt him it is constant and no one will do anything else and no one else suggests any thing else.I am so worried he refuses to play or sit in the floor or do any sports for his back hurts so bad.So I have come to a dead end with all the Dr.s and still have my son hurting from a severe backache.I have no idea what else could be wrong??? I am SO WORRIED!!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:49 pm

User avatar Dear shnncof,

This is critical and you should not wait to seek direct medical consultation.
If signs of inflammation like redness, swelling etc are present even at the skin, This indicate infection.

An infection of the spine requires prompt diagnosis.
Good clinical examination and investigations including:
CBC
ESR
CPK
should be done initially.
Radio graphic studies are frequently normal.
Complete rest is essential. Antibiotics may be recommended by some if bacterial infection is suspected.
Please call your doctor and keep us updated. Sorry to make you worry, but this should be excluded.

|