News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Lower back pain

aalrshoes - Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:38 pm

I have been waking up with lower back pain when I wak up for a while. It use to dissapear after moving around for an hour, but now it infringes on bending at my job. Aspirin or aleve works but I don't want to take this on a daily basis. What will a chiropractor do to me?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:05 pm

User avatar Dear aalrshoes,

In most of the cases with back pain, strain of the back muscles and ligaments, is the primary cause. This usually results from wrong or heavy lifting, or following a sudden improper movement. Muscle spasm alone can cause the back pain which can be an unidentified cause.

In these cases, self care and avoiding the precipitating cause will lead to a gradual but clear improvement in the pain. Home treatment includes the use of analgesics, cold or hot therapy.
Rest for maximum two days is also beneficial.

If these measures fail to relief the pain or to improve symptoms in 48 hours, you should visit your doctor for better evaluation and for exclusion of other causes, like: Herniated disk, Sciatica, Spinal stenosis etc. these are conditions that need specific therapy.

If the pain is intense, especially when you lay down, if it causes weakness or numbness of the legs, if it is associated with GI or bladder problems, or there is fever or unexplained weight loss, you have also to consult your physician immediately

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here