Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Lower back pain

aalrshoes - Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:38 pm

I have been waking up with lower back pain when I wak up for a while. It use to dissapear after moving around for an hour, but now it infringes on bending at my job. Aspirin or aleve works but I don't want to take this on a daily basis. What will a chiropractor do to me?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:05 pm

User avatar Dear aalrshoes,

In most of the cases with back pain, strain of the back muscles and ligaments, is the primary cause. This usually results from wrong or heavy lifting, or following a sudden improper movement. Muscle spasm alone can cause the back pain which can be an unidentified cause.

In these cases, self care and avoiding the precipitating cause will lead to a gradual but clear improvement in the pain. Home treatment includes the use of analgesics, cold or hot therapy.
Rest for maximum two days is also beneficial.

If these measures fail to relief the pain or to improve symptoms in 48 hours, you should visit your doctor for better evaluation and for exclusion of other causes, like: Herniated disk, Sciatica, Spinal stenosis etc. these are conditions that need specific therapy.

If the pain is intense, especially when you lay down, if it causes weakness or numbness of the legs, if it is associated with GI or bladder problems, or there is fever or unexplained weight loss, you have also to consult your physician immediately

|