Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Upper back pain

tomasinca - Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:47 pm

About a week ago I started to get sharp burning pain under my right shoulder blade. I went to my chiropactor, but I am still in pain 3 days later. I am getting worried that it could mean something else. Are there any medical problems that would cause pain under the shoulder blade and mid-bace area? To give you some info.... I am 59 years old, 205 lbs, 5'8". On a diet.. have lost 30 lbs in the last 3 months. I quit smoking 16 years ago. Have high blood pressure that is under control with medication. Sometimes I get sharp pains in my back and chest area, that is releived by drinking something cold. My Doc had told me a long time ago that this cause by an Esophigeal Spasam.
Any light you can shed on my pain will be appriciated.
Thanks you
tomasinca
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:44 pm

User avatar Dear tomasinca,

This pain can be due to:

- Muscle spasm: Muscle spasm alone can cause this pain which can be an unidentified cause but in many cases is the result of inappropriate posture for long time like traveling, driving and certain types of work.
In these cases, self care and avoiding the precipitating cause will lead to a gradual but clear improvement in the pain.

-Gall Bladder or Biliary disease : in this cases the pain is felt as Severe pain that is felt mainly in the right upper quadrant or in the upper middle of the abdomen ,occur mainly after meals (fatty), the pain may worsen after deep breath and radiates to the back or below the right shoulder.
Associated with:
Nausea and vomiting
Heartburn

- In appropriate contraction of the throat or esophageal muscles (motility disorders) causes:
*Chest pain that can be severe and sometimes is felt as tightness in the chest but it is usually associated with difficult swallowing and bad breathing that is intermittent.
*Acid reflux causes severe pain and discomfort in the chest especially in the morning and increase with certain types of food.

Investigations include Upper Endoscopy, Manometric studies, and other lab tests that can be recommended by the doctor accordingly.

Follow up with your doctor is essential.
Hope you find this information useful.

|