Question: Fractures Ribs with internal bleding

tms27 - Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:21 pm

My father who is currently 65 yrs old fell at a gym between two tred mills. It resulted in having been admitted to the ER where upon arrival it was determined that he had fractured to consecutive ribs on his left side. Upon determinig this they also diagnosis him with having excess fluids in his chest cavity. They proceded to tap his side with a tube and exctracted with in an hour and a half time a liter that was 90% blood. After 5 days in the hospital he was released. 4 out of those 5 days they kept the tube in him for drainage through that time he only had a half a liter more of fluid drained. Two weeks have pasted and upon a follow up exam they have readmitted him into the hospital. Apprently he has built up fluids again in his chest cavity and now they plan to surgically do a scope tomorrow morning to discover where or why he is bleeding. My question is what possibly could he bleeding from?
 derek - Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:43 am

Dear Writer
I do hope your father gets better soon and I do also hope that I am not to late on posting this but, the most likely site of the leek is in the intercostal arteries which line anteriorly and posteriorly along the rib. You see when a rib fractures the surrounding anatomy is disturbed, hence this can cause a leek from on of the arteries.

yours sincerly
Derek

|