Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Scoliosis

happystudent - Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:22 pm

Hi!

I am 23 years old and was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was around 15 years old. I went to a kineseologist and she gave me a few exercises to do, saying that it would make my vertebral column straight making me shrink about 4 cms.
The thing is that I never did the exercises like I was supposed to (for 3 months), and I still have back problems.
I don't have health insurance, so I can't really afford going to the doctor right now, but I would like to do the exercises she gave me, but I don't know if that is advisable, since it has been a while and my problem might have changed.
I would like to go back to see a kineseologist eventually, but for now, could anybody let me know if you think I should go ahead and work on my exercises?
 babygirl18 - Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:36 am

Hi, I don't know if this will help you at all, but I am an 18 year old female whom was diagnosed with Scoliosis also. After being diagnosed, my family found one of the best doctors around to help me. My back got worse with time, which he said would happen. He advised me to wear a brace which would slow the progression, but as I got older and more self concious about myself, I stopped wearing it, which led to me having to have back surgery. As I said before, my doctor is one of the best and he has never told me to do any kinds of exercises for Scoliosis. To be honest, I don't see how that would effect anything at all. I've been dealing with Scoliosis since I was in the 3rd grade, so I do know a lot about it. Needless to say, I've pretty much been through it all with Scoliosis. Now, beings that you weren't diagnosed with Scoliosis until later in your teenage years, your situation may be slightly different than mine. My advice to you, would be to get a second opinion from a really good doctor about the exercises. Like I said before, I've never heard of that. Just thought I would tell you my story and let you know what my passed experience has been. Hope I have helped or at least let you see a different side to things. Take care and good luck!

|