Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: MRI

inpaininky1969 - Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:26 pm

My MRI report says: degeneration of L5-S1 with mild circumferential bulge. mild circumferential bulge noted at L4-L5.

I had an auto accident in which I was rear ended at about 45mph 9-1-2005. Had the MRI 12-13-05. Diagnosed with whiplash at the time of the accident. I never had any back pain prior to the accident. Since the accident I have numbness down my left leg and at times severe pain. Could the above be caused by the accident? and what exactly does this mean?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:52 pm

Degenerative disc disease, is a gradual deterioration of the disc between the vertebrae in turn narrow disc space.
Degeneration of the disc tissue makes the disc more susceptible to herniation.

Each disc is formed of a central gel-like inside (nucleus pulposus), surrounded by an outer ring (annulus fibrosus).

When this softer component ruptures (herniates) through the outer ring it press directly on nerve roots and irritate adjacent nervous tissue.

Your report inform that:
Degenerative changes at the level of the lumber vertebrae and the first sacral vertebrae with disc herniation at the lumber vertebrae (Third and forth) and between the lumbar vertebrae L5 and the first sacral S1.

If this bulge results in nerve root compression, pinched nerve it can cause back pain and numbness along the distribution of these nerves. In your condition it results in Sciatica.

Muscle spasm alone can cause this pain which can be an unidentified cause but in many cases it is secondary to spinal or bone problems.

It could be due to the accident or due to cumulative spine changes from your life style, sitting for long time for example.

|