News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: picking the right doctor

caringdoc - Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:09 am

I unfortunately became a patient recently and needed surgery. I went by word of mouth from doctors/nurses in my area but I wonder if that is the best we can do? Is there a site/source where one can access physician information to see who is the best in thier field, has performed the procedure being done the most ,etc? I recently had hand surgery and went to several orthopods and one plastic surgeon and came to find out that only one orthopod was certified in hand surgery. I went to see this guy and I am grateful but I almost made the mistake of having someone do my surgery who has more experience with knees/ hips,etc. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Bill
 Dr. Russell M - Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:16 am

User avatar Hi!

That would be a great idea to evaluate our physicians before visiting them. If you come by such a website, please pass it on. I have heard of the existence of such, but am unaware.

I think orthopedicians can generally do hand surgery, but one can opt for orthopedicians with higher experience in hand surgery or knee surgery, as the case may be. But that shouldn't lead one to imagine a surgeon for every bone in the human body.

Warm regards,

Bill

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here