Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: picking the right doctor

caringdoc - Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:09 am

I unfortunately became a patient recently and needed surgery. I went by word of mouth from doctors/nurses in my area but I wonder if that is the best we can do? Is there a site/source where one can access physician information to see who is the best in thier field, has performed the procedure being done the most ,etc? I recently had hand surgery and went to several orthopods and one plastic surgeon and came to find out that only one orthopod was certified in hand surgery. I went to see this guy and I am grateful but I almost made the mistake of having someone do my surgery who has more experience with knees/ hips,etc. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Bill
 Dr. Russell M - Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:16 am

User avatar Hi!

That would be a great idea to evaluate our physicians before visiting them. If you come by such a website, please pass it on. I have heard of the existence of such, but am unaware.

I think orthopedicians can generally do hand surgery, but one can opt for orthopedicians with higher experience in hand surgery or knee surgery, as the case may be. But that shouldn't lead one to imagine a surgeon for every bone in the human body.

Warm regards,

Bill

|