News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Severe lower back pain

rayn6112 - Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:02 pm

I am a 22 year old female with no prior back injuries or surgeries. But for the past 5 months I have had severe lower back pain. As time has gone by it has gotten worse and worse. OTC medicine helps for probably 20 minutes or so and then the pain is right back. It is the lower portion of my back. I can pin point the spot that hurts worse than anywhere else ( right to the right of my spine) but the pain radiates across my entire lower back and into my legs. It is worse on my left leg than right. But at times it hurts so bad it is hard to breathe. It some times will take me a few minutes to get up because of the pain. I can't bend down without pain. It really worries me because the pain will get so bad at times that i can;t move because it hurts so bad it feels numb. Like a white hot feeling. I haven't been able to go to a doctor and will not be able to until March 1st. I secondly don't know what kind of doctor to go to. Any help would be greatly apprciated.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:18 pm

User avatar Dear rayn6112,
Causes of back pain include non specific causes like muscle spasm and many other specific conditions. In most of these specific conditions, there are associated symptoms and signs that can indicate the possible cause. Lower back pain that is centered in the lower spine and radiates down to both legs is most probably due to compressed nerves. A condition that needs full clinical examination and investigations (including X-ray and MRI) to identify the underlying cause. If the pain is intense, especially when you lay down, if it causes weakness or numbness of the legs, you have to consult your physician immediately I advise you to take an appointment with your doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment.
Good luck,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here