Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Leg pain caused by back problem?

awald - Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:06 pm

Age: 36 / Sex: F / Past diagnosis: Sacroiliac Joint Syndrome / Family history: father has had back problems / No current medication

I woke up last night with a terrible burning/stabbing pain in my upper front/outer left thigh- so bad it took my breath away- it was followed by numbness/tingling in that area. The pain did not feel deep- it almost felt like it was in my skin. I still feel a "sensation" this morning that it was there.

I had this same problem a year ago or so- I woke up regularly for about 2 weeks with this kind of pain- except it was on my right front/outer thigh, and I supposed it had to do with back pain I regularly have on the right side after a long night's sleep.

I was diagnosed recently with Sacroiliac Joint Syndrome. My SI Joint (right side) has always been out of whack- I've never been able to lay flat on a hard surface without pain/discomfort- even since teenage-hood. And now I'm told this problem is degenerating my L1/2 discs, hence the morning back pain.

Anyway- could this thigh pain be back-related? Or a separate issue? It's very disconcerting, as the pain is very intense and worries me a great deal. And now that the pain is in the opposite leg, I'm not so sure what's causing it.

-A
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:17 pm

User avatar Dear awald,

Inflammation of the sacroiliac joint is a common problem and results is:

sharp or dull pain is felt in the back, may radiate into the buttocks and often radiate to the front into the groin. It can be also responsible testicular pain in males.

Typically, the condition presents with difficulty and painful turning over in bed, or pain getting the legs in and out of the car.

The pain increase of you remain sitting for long time especially in inappropriate position like travelings or driving.

Follow up with your doctor is essential. Only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

Hope you find this information useful.

|