Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: MRI interpretation

Piijt - Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:01 am

I'm currently working in North Africa and have severe back pain. I need to know if I need to travel back home for treatment and what treatment if any is required.

I managed to get an MRI scan and the observations were "compromise of bilateral recesses L3-L4, L4-L5, L5-S1 levels, right neutral foramina L3-L4 secondary to disc bulge"

Unfortunately I can't find anyone to translate this into practical terms that I can understand. I'm full of painkillers and muscle relaxants now. Can anyone give me some advice please.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:29 pm

Degenerative disc disease, is a gradual deterioration of the disc between the vertebrae in turn narrow disc space.
Degeneration of the disc tissue makes the disc more susceptible to herniation.

Each disc is formed of a central gel-like inside (nucleus pulposus), surrounded by an outer ring (annulus fibrosus).
When this softer component ruptures (herniates) through the outer ring it press directly on nerve roots and irritate adjacent nervous tissue.

Disc degeneration results in Spinal stenosis which is narrowing of the spinal canal, nerve root canals, or intervertebral foramina (foraminal stenosis) due to spondylosis (spinal arthritis ).

Your report inform that:
Degenerative changes at the level of the lumber vertebrae and the first sacral vertebrae with moderate bone changes in the form of extensions (spurr) .Foraminal stenosis due to disc herniation at the lumber vertebrae (Third and forth)

|