Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Severe middle back pain When I wake up in the morning

volcom426 - Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:35 am

Hello, This is my first time posting here so be easy on me. I have had back pains for about seven months now. I'm a 25 year old male, also i'm 6'0 215lbs have never had any health problems. The pain in my back started in the lower right side of
my back right above my butt. It was mild for the first six months sometimes it would wake me up and I would get out of bed and walk it off. Well in the last month now I have severe pain in my middle back on my left side mainly but also a little on my right when I wake in the morning, It hurts so bad I can't lay in bed. So i have my fiance rub it and that really has no effect. The pain starts to simmer down and almost be completly gone at about 12 o'clock in the afternoon. I have gone to my doctor many times and he keeps telling me that my muscles are locking up and I have asked him why he keeps telling me that he doesnt no why. So he took a lower back x ray and said that it looks normal and he gave me a perscription for muscle relaxer and some pain killer that my pharmacist told me I could just by aleve its the same stuff and also my doctor told me to stretch real good before bed. So then I started taking the pills and doing a whole stretch routine before bed and still it keeps getting worse every morning. It feels like i have been stabbed by a spoon and someone is twisting it in my back, also it hurts very severly to try and touch my chin to my chest it feels like something is pulling hard in my back. So to continue on with my saga I talked to a couple people and they said go to the chiropractor, so three sessions latter and 150 dollars still no luck, chiro said my back is setting fine but doesn't know why my back is spasming so much. Also i'm pretty active with my job and I also ride dirtbikes so I can't understand why it is getting worse. There is really nothing in my family history, only odd thing is my father past away last year of heart failure from severe septicema, hypertension, dyslipidemia, phenmonia and diabetes melliyus, and metabolic acidosois, which kind of a shockers cause I took him to the ER and they said it didn't look very serious and he died 8 hours later. So I don't know if that will help any but any any help on what could be wrong with my back or what I should do would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks for your time, Jason
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:21 am

Muscle spasm alone can cause this pain which can be an unidentified cause but in many cases is the result of inappropriate posture for long time.

In these cases, self care and avoiding the precipitating cause will lead to a gradual but clear improvement in the pain. Home treatment includes the use of analgesics, cold or hot therapy.
Rest for maximum two days is also beneficial.

If these measures fail to relief the pain or to improve symptoms in 48 hours, otherwise the pain is more likely to be due to other causes, like:
Herniated disk, in which the inter-vertebral disc press on his nerves,
Spondylosis which is similar to arthritis but affects the spine etc.
MRI is of choice in the diagnosis.

In MRI negative individuals, inflammation of the sacroiliac joint is suspected and special tests and maneuvers can help in the diagnosis.

These are conditions that need specific therapy.

Follow up with your doctor is essential. Only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

Hope you find this information useful.
 volcom426 - Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:19 am

Thank you for the responce, well since my last post I have had a few things looked at, My doctor had me go and get xrays of my entire back and also mri of my lower and thoratic spine,
Sorry for the spelling. He then had me seen by a nueroligist, and he looked everything over and told me he does not see anything to be worried about. the only thing he mentioned is he can see some wear in my thordic disc's and he said that is because of my life style, as in dirt bike riding and football stuff like that he said is hard on your back and can wear it faster. But he said there is nothing abnormal in the mri or xrays. So basically if have decided that there is nothing seriously wrong with me and i will have to deal with it. but also during all this i was diag with high blood pressure so i just started taking meds for it and i will start an excersise program in the next few weeks to shed some pounds and quit smoking which my doctor believes is why i have high blood pressure. So basically i have hit a dead end, I don't know what else to do.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:58 am

Good news, it seems that your MRI results showed mild starting degenerative changes.

Self care and avoiding the precipitating cause in addition to physical therapy and regular appropriate exercises that are recommended by the physiotherapist will help you avoid progression.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor, and keep us updated.

|