Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Upper back pain

foxymfc - Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:22 am

I am a 26 year old male and I have had problems with upper back pain intermittently since I was 12 years old.

The pain is quite local to the right side of centre of my upper back, sort of just above the height of my elbow (if that makes sense!) the pain used to radiate across the whole of my upper back, but recntly it feels really sharp and concentrated on one spot.

I have seen physiotherapists and chiropractors, and have worked to keep my posture straight and do all the excersises I am told. I have played sports pretty much all my life and am generally quite active. Up until recently my pain never stopped me playing sports, in fact the activity seemed to help. However, I am now finding it less manageable and it seems to be causing futher injuries.

I am sure my posture and the fact I work at a desk is part of the cause, but as much as I try to correct these things they are just as uncomfortable as the pain itself.

I was wondering if any of you could reccomend any other treatments, or have had the same problem and could maybe give me some advice.

Thanks for reading!
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:57 am

User avatar Dear foxymfc

I was wondering whether or not you have tried to use over the counter NSAID, like ibuprofen (Advil), or aleve. Many times , in such cases because of their pain relieving effects and their anti-inflammatory properties help solve the problem.

I f your pain does not improve with such medicines, i recommend that you see your doctor, it could be muscle tension or spasms. If that is the case your doctor will prescribe a medicine known as Muscle relaxant for 5-10 days, and the problem will be solved.

Thank you very much and i hope you feel better soon.

|