Forum Name: Bone infections

Question: Bone infection?

SBW3333 - Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:22 pm

I am a 33 yr old female. About 3 years ago I started suffering from alot of nuerological problems...Weakness & tingling in leg and arm and face, with really achy joints, and tender spots everywhere but all of this is on the left side only. Went to all kinds of doctors trying to find out the cuase of this. Orthopedic doctor did xrays of couple of joints and found a spot on my tibia just under my left knee. Went to a bone cancer doctor and he did a bone biopsy and called it osteomylitis. said they got 60% out,left 40% in and put me on antibiotics for 8 weeks. My leg is still sluggish, though not as bad, but my joints still ache and the area of surgery is still very tender, with the area around it asleep feeling. Should I be concerned about "how" this infection got in there, and if it could possibly have ANYTHING to do with my other symptoms I am still experiencing or just mere coincidence. I was also told my B12 was terribly low and they put me on supplements, but did not tell me why or what was causing it to be so low.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:29 am

User avatar Hi SBW3333,
Osteomyelitis is a bone infection typically caused by an infection in another area of the body, for example bloodstream, trauma resulting in a cellulitis of the area etc. Do you remember if you experienced anything in particular (infection, trauma) prior to the osteomyelitis? Were blood cultures done to identify the responsible organism? Of course, aside from trauma, infection, etc., one of the risk factors for developing this condition is Diabetes. Now for the B12 deficiency. Some of the signs or symptoms of a B12 deficiency are numbness and tingling (especially of the hands and feet), pallor, fatigue or weakness, shortness of breath, etc. Some causes of this deficiency are related to diet (vegetarian that excludes all meat, fish, eggs and all dairy products), Intestinal malabsorption disorders, Crohn's disease, or lack of an Intrinsic Factor (responsible for Pernicious anemia). Generally, a Schilling test (labtest) can determine the cause of the B12 deficiency. Depending on the cause, whether it's diet related or due to another reason, indicates the treatment supplement by pill form or B12 injections. I hope this has been somewhat helpful.
 SBW3333 - Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:11 am

Ms Jones,

Thank you so much for the information. I do not remember having any trauma or infection prior to my diagnosis. As far as the organism, I don't think they ever did; they only classified it as a benign neoplasm. It is a pure mystery. I will talk to my doctor about this schilling test and see if it can be done to determine why my B12 is low. The only weird thing is that it only affects my left side, would this not affect me on both sides? Thanks again for all the information.

|