Question: Excess fluid on my hip?

mtbi survivor - Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:17 pm

Hi, I am a female 26 years old, my birthday is this month, so I will be 27. My question relates to my hip, but I do need to give some history. In August of 2003 I was in a serious car accident that left me with two severly comminuted fractures, one of my left elbow, and one of my right wrist. I also had a dislocated left hip. I as well suffered a mild traumatic brain injury. None the less my question is about my hip. I have had an MRI on it that showed nothing remarkable except excess fluid on my hip. My orthopedic surgeon would not comment on it. I do not know what this means. But I am in pain. My hip is consistently sore, at first it started being in pain intermittedly with no ryme or reason, but now it has gotten to the point where I must move every so often because of the discomfort level. I work in an office and am at a computer most of the day. Every once in a while it feels as though my hip despereatly needs to be cracked but just won't. And sometimes when it does crack it feels like heaven. It has recently started to hurt that side of my hip when I evacute my bowels, and I am concerend that this is of greater importance than what my surgeon feels. I am worried about avascular necrosis and osteoarthritis. What could possibly cause excess fluid on my hip? and what do my symptoms mean? I would appreciate any opinions on the matter, thank you for taking the time to read my email. This is a wonderful thing you lovely peoiple are doing.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:51 am

User avatar Hi mtbi survivor,
Generally speaking, "excess fluid in the hip" would be an abnormal finding. In some cases, aspiration of fluid is completed for evaluation to identify if an infectious process is present. I certainly hope you have had a re-evaluation.

|