News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: ? broken toe , should I request another x-ray

tdeolim - Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:43 pm

my son 10 yr old son took off his shoe and stomped his foot as hard as he could on the ice 2 days ago just to see what might happen. (stupid thing to do). he has since been limping and whining in pain and at times actually in tears. the pain is in his heel more toward the inside of the foot. I took him to his pcp and they ordered and x-ray only to tell me that his pinky toe is fractured. now I was told to tape it to the toe next to it.I pulled the toes out to tape them and he had no pain.I am baffled as is he. he is insisting that his toe is fine. the pain is in the back of the foot on the other side. as a matter of fact, for the last 2 days, he has been walking ON his toes to avoid putting weight anywhere near the heel. any thoughts on why the dx is so different from what he is feeling. he is seeing ortho on Tues.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:42 am

User avatar Hi tdeolim,
Occasionally fractures are not observed on the initial xray and when symptoms persist additional views are completed for evaluation. The pain he is experiencing in is heel may be significantly worse than in his toe (essentially over-riding), if that makes sense. If during his re-evaluation a fracture is not present, keep in mind that bruising especially in this area can be very painful.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 tdeolim - Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:21 pm

Thank You, his heel is now a bit more swollen red and warm to the touch, should this concern me?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:22 am

User avatar Hi tdeolim,
Considering his symptoms are worsening and new ones are appearing, I would suggest notifying his physician. He/she may want to evaluate him sooner or instruct you on what activity to allow or avoid, ie., walking etc.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here