Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Sciatic Nerve questions

Lurkerlou - Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:10 pm

Hello and first off thank you for taking the time to read this and possibly help me out.

I am a 31 year old Male who 4 1/2 years ago had a quite serious motorcycle accident with quite a few injuries to both my legs. I will try and make this as short as possible but I think it definately will help anyone trying to give me advice.

I had dislocated my left knee to the point where my tib/fib was located about 4 or 5 inches up my Femur and it remained dislocated until they operated to stabilize it , upon which it dislocated when they woke me up and then they re stabilized it again surgically. I had also rather severely broken my right tib/fib and ankle in many (roughly 30'ish) places and although it was broken in so many places (spiral fracture) it wasn't a compound fracture due to the safety equiptment I was wearing.

Essentially I hit a wall with both legs first and my one leg fractured quite severely and the other dislocated at the knee from the force which I assume was rather severe.

So I guess the coles notes version from then until now is I spent 2 years and several surgeries non union in my right broken leg and finally at the 2 year mark after re nailing my leg and using an allograft and bone from my hip (lilac crest graft) I was showing bone growth. I then had some scope work done on my left knee from an excellent surgeon and then the same surgeon 1 1/4 years later scoped my knee on the broken right leg and removed the hardwear (IM nail and broken screws) due to it's location. I had broken several screws and the top of the IM nail was actually protruding into my knee so it's removal was needed for me to be on my feet for any length of time.

The last surgery (IM nail removal and right knee scope) was performed at the 3 1/2 year mark and I must say I felt like a completely new man and became very mobile and began my push to return to work. I really did feel incredibly well , all things considering,

So after about 6 months of regaining mobility and pushing for a return to work , which became a struggle to convince many I could do so, I started to have problems with a pain in my lower left buttox. At the time I just assumed I had pulled a muscle but this symptom hadn't been around during any of the 4 years up to this point.

I tried very hard to ignore this pain as I know pain will be a part of my daily life due to the nature of the injuries I had sustained but I am a very optimistic person who was happy to still have both legs and be able to walk and potentially work again at a job I loved.

This pain began to go lower and lower until it would run the length of my left leg. It also gradually became worse as far as pain. I don't want to understate the pain level as I have had many surgeries and injuries to compare it to and it probably ranks right up there with the worst I have had to deal with. Today at the 4 1/2 year mark I am doing a graduated return to work and I am trying my hardest to work around this problem but it's getting to the point where I am unable to sleep for more than a few hours and the pain I wake up in is excruciating. I am forced to get up and try to walk around in order to try and settle the shooting pain and numbness I have developed in my left leg.

My family doctor (who has been amazing) has realized that this is quite possibly irritation of my sciatic nerve and I am scheduled this week (friday) to have nerve conduction tests done. I am so happy that I may finally know where this nerve is being irritated and then hopefully work towards some relief of the daily pain it brings.

I presently take Celebrex 1 to 2 times a day , and have been prescribed muscle relaxants to help aid with sleep. MY doctor also gave me a trial pack of Larika but told me not to start using it until I have the nerve conduction tests perfomed. Physio has tried traction (55lbs so far) and temms treatment but even the traction takes the pain away but only while I am in traction.

I am quite sure this is sciatic related but I am not a doctor and I don't want to pretend that I am one. Everyone from Physio , Chiropractors and now even my family doctor are all agreeing. I just need and want some relief from this pain and want to be where I was 7 months ago , able to be mobile , relatively agile and able to sleep.

I guess my questions are goign to be slightly more specific when I finally know where my sciatic nerve is pinched or irritated but for now I am curious if there is anything I can do to better understand this condition or find ways to deal with it? Is there any new treatments available that I should ask about?

Thanks for reading this far and I would love to answer any questions that might help to answer any of your questions. I even have copies of my Xrays of my legs if that would help.

I will continue to watch this and reply any info requested by anyone in order to make better sense of this issue. I do find it odd that after 4 years and an almost full recovery that this sciatic problem reared it's ugly head? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
 Lurkerlou - Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:06 pm

Please delete my post ...I'm on the right track now I think.

|