Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Burning Neck Pain

BriDsgn - Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:12 pm

I am 36 year old male
Have high blood pressure managed with Lisinopril
Have a history of anxiety.

The past couple of weeks I've been getting a burning pain in my left shoulder and neck. Sometimes I can feel it up the neck on onto the side of my head even. On occasion the pain seems to center on my left collar bone.

It does not seem to be brought on by any specific activity. In fact, it seems to come on most when I'm not doing anything (i.e. driving, watching tv, etc.). Been getting it 3-4 times a day.

It was happening a lot a couple weeks ago and seemed to get less frequent and now has intensified again.

When it's not hurting my neck and shoulder seem fine, and my range of motion seems fine. I know I carry a lot of tension in my shoulders, especially on that side, but I've never experienced this burning pain before. If it hurt all the time I'd assume I pulled a muscle but it doesn't.

Can't figure out what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you so much.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:57 pm

According to your description, the pain could be due to:
-Neurological -nerve irritation- mainly Herniated disk and or
-Muscle spams

(the two possible causes are commonly associated and coexist).

Even so, in most of the cases with upper back or one sided neck pain, strain of the back muscles and ligaments, is the primary cause.

Muscle spasm alone can cause this pain which can be an unidentified cause but
in many cases is the result of inappropriate posture for long time like traveling, driving, overuse and certain types of work.

In these cases, self care and avoiding the precipitating cause will lead to a gradual but clear improvement in the pain.
Home treatment includes the use of analgesics, cold or hot therapy.
Rest for maximum two days is also beneficial.
MRI is of choice in the diagnosis.

The other causes to be excluded
- You have mentioned that your blood pressure is controlled, I advise however to check your blood pressure and to exclude any cardiac cause for this pain.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor.

Direct clinical examination is essential.
Hope you find this information useful.

|