News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Flail chest

Author - Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:57 am

Hi

I'm writing a novel in which one of my characters has just suffered a flail chest. It's set in the Middle Stone Age and he had a stag fall on him in its death throes

He's young (about 16) and fit and I would like him to live.

Assuming my healer only has herbal medicines and analgesics such as comfrey for bone knitting etc, what treatment would my healer use to heal him? Also assuming no underlying punctured lung or heart problems.

Is it simply a case of having him lie still till it's healed or is there anything else he can do?

Thank you for any advice.
 Dr. Tino Anthony Solomon - Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:21 pm

Hello there,

'Flail chest' is often treated conservatively, provided no complications arise as a direct or indirect result of injury. Conservative treatment essentially entails adequate pain control and oxygenation because normal breathing patterns may be disrupted. If the subject cannot adequately ventilate himself, then invasive ventilation may be required. This scenario is more likely in multiple rib fractures and fractures that involve injuries to underlying structures. The ribs are normally allowed to heal on their own and rarely is surgery required. A later complication that can occur after any trauma is an Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) which is a condition that is diagnosed using technical and invasive investigations and requires advanced ventilation procedures in an intensive care setting to manage, all of which I doubt would have been available in the middle ages!

It would therefore be safe and plausible to write into your story a natural healing method as the mode of treatment.

Dr Tino Solomon
MB BS BSc(Hons)
Senior House Officer in Surgery

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here