Question: Mallet Finger Surgery

hilts - Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:50 am

I broke my little finger nearest the fingernail joint. A piece of bone tore the tendon resulting in a mallet finger. I've been splinted for the last 5 weeks and yesterday my doctor tested it and I cannot bring the end of the finger up on my own. He's keeping me in a splint for another 3 weeks but said that if its still drooping a lot then, we may have to consider surgery. I'm not sure I want to go that route as I don't need fine movement with that finger, since I don't have an occupation that requires it. If its then just mostly for cosmetic reasons I would rather not have surgery. Are there any long-term complications to the finger as a whole if I don't opt for surgery?

Hilts
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:41 am

User avatar Hi hilts,
Conservative treatment of mallet finger is typically splinting the digit for 6-10 weeks. Specific care must be taken not to remove the splint except of course for washing the finger being sure that the area is not permitted to bend because allowing this essentially starts you back at the beginning of treatment. Although there are complications related to surgical treatment, ie, infection, disruption of vascular flow, etc., I am not aware of specific complications with more conservative treatment.

|