Forum Name: Bone infections

Question: Petrous Apicitis

smiles4ever - Wed May 26, 2004 8:07 pm

I had a CT scan done that showed I had petrous apicitis; my doctor told me to see an ENT doctor as soon as possible. What exacaly is petrous apicitis, and what should I be expecting in regard to treatment?
- Melanie
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat May 29, 2004 6:32 am

User avatar It is an infection of petrous apex (the top of the petrous bone). The petrous bone is a bone in the skull. The petrous portion of the temporal bone lies in a complicated anatomic position and has critical relationships to important neural and vascular structures.

Before the advent of antibiotics in the 1940s, infections of the petrous apex, termed petrous apicitis, commonly progressed to meningitis, brain abscess, cavernous sinus thrombosis, and death. Since the introduction of antibiotics, the prevalence of such serious complications has been drastically reduced.
 breezygirl64 - Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:48 pm

I Just recently had an MRI which concluded that I have a severe sinus infection and Petrous Apicitis. I had gone to my physcian with complaints of headaches, blurred vision, confusion, and problems with my blood sugar after eating. I had blood work done which was all within normal limits and went through a 2 hour glucose tolerance test which was also normal, my physcian was stumped as to what was going on with me so she had me go for an MRI of the brain for complaints of headaches and blurred vision.
I was very surprised to hear that I had a severe sinus infection as I wasn't having any sinus problems. My physcian sat down with me and went over the results of the MRI and had also told me that the infection had spread to the bone and brain. I was reffered to an ENT who said this was very interesting, however since my middle ear had not been infected it was not life threatening and therefor gave me his next avail. appt. which is not until May 2nd. I am beside myself with worry because I have to wait so long to be seen and was wondering if you had gone to an ENT and what you were told.

I am currently on antibiotic's of which I completed today, my symptoms have lightened up a little but I still feel awful and would appreciate any input you have to offer.

_Dawn[/b]

|