News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Urgent Question about ankle injury

kds06 - Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:27 pm

I have a friend who’s daughter fell off the monkey bars and hurt her foot. The school nurse said it didn’t seem broke but recommended to goto the doctors. My friends daughter is around 6 and her ankle hurts and she cannot walk on it. She want’s to take her to the doctors however her husband refuses to take her unless it swells up. They do have medical insurance, he simple wont take her. I offered to take off work and drive down to take her, however she doesn’t think that’s a good idea because of her husband.
Can anyone give me any medical advice on sprained ankles vs broken bones? I am kind of under the impression that a sprained ankle will swell more then a broken one. Any links to supporting medical advice as well would be helpful and hopefully she can prove to him that she should go to the doctors.
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:56 am

User avatar Just because the ankle does not swell does not mean it is not injured. An injury that is left untreated may not heal properly, and can cause a lot of pain and other problems for years to come.
A parent that refuses to take a child to the doctor when the child is in need of medical care is concidered neglect.
The mother of this child should not need to "convince" her husband to be allowed to take her child to the doctor. If they have insurance and money is not an issue,. then why doesn't he want to take his daughter to the doctor? I am sure she is in pain, I do not understand why the father wouldn't want to help his daughter?
Tell the husband that even a sprained ankle needs to be treated by a doctor for the proper treatment to promote healing,.and that swelling does not always indicate an injury, and that if she is inujured without proper treatment she would be at risk to have lifelong pain and trouble with the ankle not healing properly.
A mother should not need to prove to anyone why a child needs to be seen by a doctor.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here