News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Crackling sounds when stretching back

groundrush - Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:06 am

Hi all,

I'm a 36 year old male with a slight curvature of the spine that causes me some discomfort especially after a days work in the office.

I do try to maintain a good posture but I find it very difficult to keep it that way.

the best way to describe it would be to imagine your back being like a bow that you're trying to keep strait, when you relax it curves back again.

Anway.....
I've noticed that over the past couple of years I hear a terrible crackling sound whenever I stretch my back or arch my shoulders & quickly snap back.

it sounds similar to someone crackling their knuckles.

Is this normal or is there something wrong that I should be aware of?

thanks
 groundrush - Fri May 26, 2006 6:31 am

Has anyone else heard of this before?
 groundrush - Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:25 am

My Doctor still has no idea why I am able to make that crackling sound
I'm now thinking that it has nothing to do with my back but maybe has something to do with my right shoulder instead

I had a bike accident about 15 years ago & injured my collarbone
I have a lump there now & it's a bit weaker than my left side & sometimes I get a little pain if I lean on it for too long.

When I stretch my back my shoulder moves as well & maybe the crackling noises are caused by my collarbone

Does that make sense & should I be concerned about my shoulder?

thanks

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here