Forum Name: Degenerative Bone Diseases

Question: hip/leg pain

moomom - Sun May 30, 2004 9:44 pm

:? i am experiencing severe hip/leg pain on my left side. this has been going on for about a week. also, my right leg feels like there is a bad cramp coming if i straighten it.i have been diagnosed with degenerative arthritis in my lower spine, and have unknown "erythema nodosum" like spots on my lower legs. i exercise reg. and have had no injury that im aware of. i have recently lost 25lbs. to be 203 and am working to go lower. iam currentlly not exercising becase the pain is so severe. any thoughts?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon May 31, 2004 11:32 am

User avatar Dear Moomom,

Thank you very much for using our website.

Your leg/hip pain can be related to your back problems. Hip pain can also be related to a new hip problem as well.

You have been experiencing this for about a week now, if you think that the pain is getting worse or not impoving, i would encourage you to be seen by your doctor to determine whether this is something that warrants an imaging study like a ct scan or not to look for a change in your back problem like a herniated disc.

Losing 25 pounds should make your back problem better not worse as by losing weight you are taking a load off your back. But, you could have pulled a muscle or did a wrong twist.

i would also encourage you to be as active as you can. Meaning that there is no need for bed rest if you have back pain. On the contary try to do your activities of daily living and if you have pain that is preventing you from doing your activities comfortably, you may use pain medications to make it easier.

Once more, thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon May 31, 2004 4:23 pm

User avatar Dear Dr. Yasser,
What are the possibilities that her arthritis is inflammatory and not degenerative and given the age, multisystem involvement and the erythema nodosum, that she may have an autoimmune rheumatic disease (as you yourself previously suggested)? Would you still advise a biopsy from the lung lesion or an ANA, RF test maybe?

Of particular concern to me is the possibility that this is a developing case of seronegative spondyloarthritis (e.g. ankylosing spondylitis). This condition as you well know is associated with asymmetrical involvement of the spine and the sacroiliac joints in addition to a high incidence of erythema nodosum. There have been reports of chronic fibrotic changes in the lungs that resemble tuberculosis.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you.
 moomom - Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:48 pm

i have been experiencing these types of episodes over the past 4 years. usually though, it is in my right hip. one time the emergency room dr. called it a sipped disc, another time it was sciatica. the symptoms right now are not severe, but continual from the middle of my hip to my toes only on my left side. i also have a pronounced limp on my right leg that started up around 5 years ago. all test have come back normal--diabeties, pap, all the test for lupus, etc. the only thing that concerns me on blood work ishigh(16.9) hemaglobin, hemocrit(47.5) monocytes were low(2) glucose was high(99) white blood cells were (10.1) high . all cholesterol levels were great.magnesium was 2.1 marked high,a1c was 4.6, marked low. been diagonosied with moderate first degree spondylolisthesis at l5-s1 with exaggerated lordosis but without spinal stenosis on 4/03-- but was told it was known as degenerative arthritis of the lower spine. i have been fighting this debilitating sickness for over four years, and none of the doctors can help, thanks alot.my current dr. will not do a biopsy and is calling what i have vasculitis and tells me to wear support hose, which does not help.
 Elktracks - Thu May 12, 2005 6:32 pm

I will be turning 30 in a week. I have been suffering from hip pain since I was 16 yrs old.
I can't walk or stand for more than 15 minutes without it starting to hurt. Sometimes I can feel and hear a clicking noise. I've had numerous x-rays taken with no explanation of what is causing the pain. I've been through physical therapy with no improvements. I've been put on Ibuprofen so many times, it's ridiculous. I just want to get a diagnostic test and see what I can do to ease the pain.
 cjhdd - Tue May 31, 2005 5:10 pm

For nearly a year, I suffered pain down my right leg, from my hip to ankle.
At first I thought it might be general pain from my fibromyalgia or arthritis.

It steadily became worse and I began to mis-step. I would lose my balance and have sharpe pains from my hip down my leg. Pain would involve my thigh, buttock and femoral head, and weight bearing pain.

An x-ray demonstrated AVN. Avascular Necrosis of the Hip. Degenerative changes in the acetabular, flattening of the femoral head, joint space narrowing and collapse of the femoral head.

I had surgery August two years ago, and have no problems walking. I do know, eventually, my left hip will need surgery also, but I do not know when. I had the surgery performed in Baltimore MD at Sinai Hospital.

cjhd
 rebeccastrecker - Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:44 pm

Do you still have erythema nodosum?
I have had EN for 37 yrs. Please contact me to discuss further. I have been researching EN for the past few years and perhaps I can help you figure out the trigger or cause that will lead to resolution of it.
I moderate the online erythema nodosum support group, so I have met about 1000 with EN by now.
Best wishes,
 sfreed - Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:31 pm

Sometimes my hip joint feels like it gets misplaced or something and I get a sharp pain in that area. If I keep my leg still it doesn't hurt but when I move it, it does. I think it happens when I move it a certian way but I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing to cause it. Usually if I relax my leg for a while it will go away. If I move my leg or try to walk I feel a sharp pain and cannot walk without limping. I think I've had this problem for a few years (maybe 5) but it wasn't so bad. Recently its been happening more often and the pain is more severe. Can you help me figure out what this is and what I can do about it?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:47 pm

There are some steps you can take to figure out what is going on with the hip.

First, an x-ray will give a view of the hip joint itself.

Second, sometimes the labrum of the hip tears causing this type of pain thus an MRI would be warranted.

Nevertheless, a visit to your family physician to asses the hip is a good start.

|