News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Possible broken elbow?

eeyore girl - Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:30 am

Yesterday as I was sitting in the living room, there was a knock on the door. My Mom got up to get it, and told me to grab the dog so she could get out. I reached down as he went to run past and grabbed his harness, but him not slowing down cracked my arm behind me bending my elbow backwards, causing quite a bit of pain. Once I got over the initial pain, I was fine. I could bend it fine, but noticed 5 minutes later that the whole elbow was already getting a bruise all the way across it, and the tingling numb feeling I had in it going all the way down into my fingers lasted about an hour to an hour and a half. After that it was okay though...achey, but fine.

I woke up this morning after having slept on that side, with my arm under me and my lower arm is in a constant state of being asleep. I don't really want to go get an x-ray unless totally necessary, since I just got all my medical bills all paid off, but it doesn't sound to me like a break anyway. Could this be a sprain? Nothing to worry about at all? Or maybe something more serious that I should get checked out afterall?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:12 am

User avatar Hi eeyore girl,
Signs and symptoms of dislocation of the elbow are, for example, loss of function, severe pain, numbness and tingling, swelling and bruising at the elbow, etc. The only definitive way to determine whether or not this is present is evaluation and xray.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here