Question: Possible broken elbow?

eeyore girl - Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:30 am

Yesterday as I was sitting in the living room, there was a knock on the door. My Mom got up to get it, and told me to grab the dog so she could get out. I reached down as he went to run past and grabbed his harness, but him not slowing down cracked my arm behind me bending my elbow backwards, causing quite a bit of pain. Once I got over the initial pain, I was fine. I could bend it fine, but noticed 5 minutes later that the whole elbow was already getting a bruise all the way across it, and the tingling numb feeling I had in it going all the way down into my fingers lasted about an hour to an hour and a half. After that it was okay though...achey, but fine.

I woke up this morning after having slept on that side, with my arm under me and my lower arm is in a constant state of being asleep. I don't really want to go get an x-ray unless totally necessary, since I just got all my medical bills all paid off, but it doesn't sound to me like a break anyway. Could this be a sprain? Nothing to worry about at all? Or maybe something more serious that I should get checked out afterall?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:12 am

User avatar Hi eeyore girl,
Signs and symptoms of dislocation of the elbow are, for example, loss of function, severe pain, numbness and tingling, swelling and bruising at the elbow, etc. The only definitive way to determine whether or not this is present is evaluation and xray.

|