News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Degenerative Bone Diseases

Question: Are they connected

JKF - Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:36 am

I have been diagnosed with severe arthritis in my neck (by an MRI) and a pinched nerve in my neck ( by an emg). I am scheduled to see a neurosurgeon in two weeks. Is this a serious condition.? I have been feeling numbness and tingling in my left shoulder and weakness in my arms for quite a qhile. Thank you. JKF
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:36 am

User avatar Hi JKF,
Depending on the specific area of nerve compression determines conservative verses surgical intervention. Nerve compression may result from injury, ie., whiplash, herniation, arthritis, etc. Conservative treatment typically is aimed at relieving symptoms and may range from the use of certain medications, physical therapy, etc., to alleviate the irritation and compression/pressure. When conservative measures fail surgical treatment may be beneficial.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 JKF - Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:59 pm

I went to the doctor today. She told my several of my discs are compressed and a nerve is p inched. She recommends for now physical therapy and epidural shots in the neck. She thinks that will help for now. Eventually I may have to have surgery but as for now we will try a more conservative approach. JKF

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here