Question: Dislocated finger?

toban - Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:30 pm

My friend was throwing a ball towards me and when I was ready to catch it the ball hit the tip of my little finger. It hurt and appeared that my middle joint was protruding upwards? I wiggled my finger and the 'protrusion' bone went back in, slight clicking noise. This happened last night. My finger is swollen, bruised. I put ice on it, taking Motrin, elevating my hand. Even if this was a dislocation and it went back in place, is it necessary to have it checked by a doctor.?I will go if I recommended. I just thought that now the bone is in place it will be okay. If there is no other signs of problems, like a fracture, what would they generally do for this? Thank you for your help!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:37 am

User avatar Hi toban,
It is not recommended to "home treat" dislocations. Even though you think the finger "popped back" in place, a physician can identify appropriate alignment of the bone to assure that problems don't appear at a later time in the joint itself. Typical treatment of finger dislocations after the area is appropriately aligned, are done by splinting or "buddy taping" to support the injured area. Keeping the injured area elevated above the level of the heart and applying ice (always covered with a material as not to apply the ice directly to the skin itself) will aide in reduction of swelling and discomfort.
 toban - Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:29 pm

Thanks for replying. I had my finger checked. They took xrays and said the bones were aligned, probably slipped back in the right place after I wiggled them. They put an aluminum splint on and I go back in a few weeks to have it rechecked. Thanks for your help!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:24 am

User avatar Hi toban,
You are very welcome and may you recover quickly. Thank you for using http://www.doctorslounge.com
 toban - Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:17 pm

I seem to have problems with my left little finger, it appears knobby and once again it popped out of place when I accidently banged it on a table. I wasn't sure whether to make a new post or put it with my old one.

age: 35
sex:female
past surgeries: ulnar nerve compression surgery left elbow
current medications: Ortho Tri Cyclen Birth Control, Nortriptyline 25mg one time a day, take it at night, Advil maximum dose allowed per day for this recent injury.

A few days ago I partially dislocated my little finger left hand, middle joint. I could see that the bone was sticking upwards and wiggled my finger and felt it click back in. As time progressed my finger became more swollen, bruised, painful. I headed to a walk in clinic that specializes in broken bones, cuts etc. They took xrays, no broken bones. The doctor said I likely had a partial dislocation. They put a splint on and I go back in 10 days. I understand there will be swelling, bruising etc. The swelling is intense and the splint is really tight. He told me I could remove the splint while showering etc, reapply it. Last night my swelling was really bad and I had to take it off and apply ice to the area. The bruising has spread into my hand. I have been taking Advil (anti-inflammatory) maximum dose. I also have noticed some numbness in my little finger, not severe, but its there. Is this normal after a dislocation? Any other tips to help? Thanks!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:11 am

User avatar Hi toban,
A certain degree of bruising and swelling is to be expected. Apply ice to the affected area, several times daily (only for 15 minute intervals and be sure the ice has a cover so it's not directly applied to the skin). Elevate the extremety, do not allow it to "hang downward" as this will increase the swelling. If there is not improvement, notify your physician for a re-evaluation. Best wishes.
 toban - Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:49 pm

Thanks! I will do what you recommended.
 toban - Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:21 pm

Since my last post, my fingre has popped out of place twice again. Approximately two weeks ago I took off the removable splint while showering (was told I could do that by doctor) and when I was reaching for the litre size shampoo bottle with my good hand it slipped and banged against my left hand, thus popping my finger out once again. I had a follow up appt with the doctor about 4 days later. Took xrays, no breaks, splinted it again for one week, told me I could remove splint in one week, then come back for a follow appt. So I headed back, splint removed and said I should start exercising it. At home I slowly started to bend my finger etc. Well about two days later after I saw the doctor, my finger popped again after exercising it. I headed back today. The doctor felt my finger and said that the tendon on the side of my finger, right side of finger, appeared to be loose. He buddy taped my ring and little finger together, has to stay this way for three weeks, then I go back to him. He was annoyed with me and said "Be smart, don't let it pop out of place again."

Anyways I was wondering what can be done to fix this problem.?I figure physiotherapy will help strengthen that loose tendon?

By the way the doctor I saw is a sports medicine doctor at a walk in clinic, not an orthopaedic.
 toban - Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:48 pm

Update...

Since my last post there has been a change with my finger/hand. I get a buzzing sensation in the palm of my hand below my pinky and ring finger.

Back in April 2006 I had surgery on my left elbow for ulnar nerve compression, they found alot of scar tissue. Prior to this surgery I experienced the same buzzing sensation in my hand but was told this is normal due to the ulnar nerve being compressed. After surgery, buzzing was relieved or better.

Now since this latest partial dislocation that buzzing has come back in my hand. I am wondering if the partial dislocation disrupted the ulnar nerve? I understand the ulnar nerve runs up into your hand and pinky finger. Or could there be scar tissue in my finger pressing down?

I go back to see the doctor (non specialist) in about 10 days. Last time I was in, about 2 weeks ago, buzzing sensation wasn't around. It started maybe 4 days after I saw him. He just said I have a loose tendon on the right side of my pinky finger, facing the ring finger.

Any ideas of what is going on? Wondering if physio would help strengthen the tendon? Someone told me that tendons cannot be strengthened? Thanks for your help!

|