News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: injury

jlboothe - Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:47 am

:( :?:
I am embarrassed to go to my physician for my problem because I am not sure it is severe enough and would like any oppinions and medical advice possible. I fell down a flight of stairs 5 days ago and hurt my tail bone pretty severely. I am still in constant pain especially when i move from a sitting position to a standing one. I understand that an injury like this takes time to heal, but I am concerned that maybe it should be feeling better by now. I have seen no improvement and in-fact, I almost feel like it hurts a bit worse than it did the first two days after the injury. Should I see my doctor or just suck it up and let it heal its self? PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS!

Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:28 pm

User avatar Dear jlboothe,

If you are feeling worse, you should be seeing your doctor to have an x-ray done as, like any other bone in your body, the tail bone can get fractured.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D
 jlboothe - Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:13 pm

thanks. I realize that is possible, but is there really anything they can do about it?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:09 pm

User avatar Dear jlboothe,

As any other fracture, the bone might be displaced. And this is usually evident on exam. Also, you have to be followed if you really have a fracture versus just a bad bruise.

The treatment usually consists of bed rest, stool softeners, pain relievers and muscle spasm relievers. As you increase your activity an inflatable rubber donut cushion may be used, alternate sitting on the side of each buttock, slouching to displace body weight away from the coccyx and sitting on a hard chair (as sinking into a soft chair may distribute weight onto the coccyx). Healing is slow and discomfort may be prolonged. In the case of persistent severe disability, an orthopedic consultation is indicated for considerations of local steroid injection or possible removal of the coccyx.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here