Forum Name: Osteoporosis

Question: Osteoporosis Qualifications?

Ladysmith52 - Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:57 pm

Dear Doctors -

- Male
- Age: 57
- No past surgeries or past diagnoses
- Mother died from osteoporosis complications
- Never smoked
- 1 glass of wine daily with dinner

I had a DEXA scan done because of my mother's osteoporosis and subsequent death.

My bone mineral density L1-L4 measures 0.62 gm/cm. My T-Score is -4.2 and Z-Score is -3.7 which was reported to me as being in the "osteoporotic range" (as defined by the WHO). Fracture risk is high.

My bone mineral density of the femoral neck measures 0.6272 gm/cm. My T-Score is -1.9 and my Z-Score is -1.0 which was reported to me as being in the "osteopenic range". Fracture risk is increased.

My bone mineral ensity of my left hip measures 0.787 gm/cm. My T-Score is -1.6 and my Z-Score is 1.2 which was reported to me to be in the "osteopenic range". Fracture risk is increased.

1. Does this mean that I currently have osteoporosis?

2. Should I start taking Fossamax?

3. Do I need to take any special precautions with regards to my daily activities?

Thank you for your time.
S. Smith
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:19 am

Dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry or DXA test is the most widely used to identify osteoporosis and determine your risk for fractures (broken bones), as well as a follow up measure for response to osteoporosis treatment.

The interpretation of the test results in men is controversial, the International Society for Clinical Densitometry recommends using separate guidelines when interpreting BMD test results in men.

Age-related bone loss (sometimes called senile osteoporosis) is not due to a secondary cause but is part of senile changes.

Therapy include: nutrition, exercise, and lifestyle guidelines for preventing increase bone loss and avoiding fracture.

Your consultant can prescribe one of the medications approved by the FDA for this disease and that would make you avoid complications under his follow up.

Keep us updated.
 Ladysmith52 - Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:32 pm

Thank you, Dr. Mahmoud.

|