News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Fractured Ankle

Sryinex - Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:11 pm

About 5 months ago I fractured my ankle and needed surgery to put in a plate and about 10 screws. About 1 month ago, I got the two largest screws taken out and things are going pretty good and I can walk and building up the muscle in my leg again...but I have 1 question...

When I put my foot down on the ground my whole ankle/foot gets swollen still a month after the surgery... Obviously at night the swelling goes down, but I wasn't aware the swelling would last so long and I was wondering if this was normal, or if there is something I should do. It doesn't hurt anymore swollen but it's rather difficult to put on a shoe and thus I want to get back to driving soon and this is inhibiting me from doing so.
 derek - Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:35 pm

There is many things this could be but I personally think it is a collection of oedema, which would explain the swelling. it could also be due to irritation of the soft tissues by the metal in the injury(though titanium is designed to be non-irritant and works in sync. with the body). I believe you ought to see your GP about this condition.

do tell me how it does.
Derek.
 Dr. Tino Anthony Solomon - Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:46 pm

Hello Srynex,

Could you please tell us more about yourself before we can start to speculate about the causes of your ankle swelling. How old are you? Do you suffer from any other medical conditions? Are you on any medication? Do you suffer from any allergies? How active have you been since the surgery? When did you last have a check x-ray on your ankle?

Kind regards,

Dr. Tino Solomon
BSc(Hons) MBBS
Senior House Officer in Surgery

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here