News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone infections

Question: osteomylitis please help

creg - Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:59 pm

my father who is 78 has been in hospital for 12 months following surgery for bowel cancer to cut a long story short after complaining of pain at the base of his spine for two months 3 ops later they found an abcess internal at the base of the spine the final op to treat this put him in intencive care in a coma for 9 days his weight went from 11 stone to 5 stone .after 11 months in hospital he is now 8.5 stone and still has a large open wound . 3 months ago he was told the infection had spread to the bone in the base of his spine. after 3 months of antibiotics an m r i scan showed the infection had spread.i have just met with a plastic and orthopedic surgons who say it is not possible to have surgery as it is to dangerous. he has been put back on the same antibiotics as the consultant says they cannot do anything else .he sits in bed chatting to us and writing his christmas cards can anyone help.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:58 pm

User avatar Hello

Sorry for the delay in response.

Can you send us the full details of the MRI report?

I need also to know more details about his past medical history specifically the cancer.

Did they check for possible metastatic lesions and oncological consultation was done?

Did they perform a cytological examination for the discharge from the abscess and cultures have been done?

Waiting for the update.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here