Question: The Cure for Short Height?

Dashtoronto - Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:28 am

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My question is,

Are any researchers, scientists trying to figure out a way to achieve the ability to make people grow, AFTER they've reached their adult height? And AFTER their growth plates have turned to bone and fused together?

Or have researchers and scientists feel they've already accomplished/achieved this, with the creation/release of Human Growth Hormone made available by doctors to teenagers and children only NOT adults.

Or

Are scientists and researchers trying to accomplish to be able to make it possible for ADULTS to grow? Have you heard of any research or any groups/companies pursuing this at all, in the grapevine? At all? It would be nice to hear of someone, some group, some company whom have ambitions to achieve this. It would make my day a little brighter.

I know there's a market for people who want to grow taller. A huge market. Like the industry for weight loss, which is HUGE, considering there's millions of people, no...make that billions...no...make that infinite numbers of people who want to lose weight...in fact, pretty much almost every girl wants to lose weight...a pound or two..

The industry for weight loss is enormous. WeightWatchers, weight loss products, weight loss gyms, magazines, weight loss food promising lower calories, no fat...milkshakes that serve as a complete dinner..

There's also an industry for people who want to gain muscle. There's thousands of products out there. Whey Protein, human growth hormone, steroids, magazines.

And the same goes for height. There's a huge potential industry for it. How do i know this? Well, when Human Growth Hormones came out and was announced. People all over, thousands of ADULT men asked if Human Growth Hormone can make them grow. Which the unfortunate answer they got was that the growth plates fuse together and become bone material after 18 years of age. (I asked my doctor the same thing and he gave me the same answer...)

Don't forget. The response to the desire to gain a few inches by women, have given birth to High heeled shoes. Now, literally almost every woman wears high heeled shoes. Even the tall women wear them. If a woman is 5'10, chances are very likely that she'll still wear high heels on an occasional basis, because the additional height will make her look even better. Now, almost every shoe store sells high heeled shoes and they are sold very very well. A huge business for high heel.

Well, there are some scam sites and hoax formulas and products out there that are trying to tap into people's desire to grow taller. So, already there is a market for it, as small and tiny as it is. Even if the market is totally incapable and false and can not deliver its promises. There is already a market, people making websites promising legitimate products that can make people grow.
( http://www.growth-flex.com/growthflex.html )

that claim, "IS IT NOW POSSIBLE TO IMPROVE YOUR HEIGHT?"

"Most people stop growing taller sooon after puberty, but more continue to grow. Researchers are starting to understand the mechanism behind this difference"

Don't know if they're saying that you can continue to grow after puberty and after 18 years of age. Some claim you stop growing at 25. Don't know which is right.

Another example is, in China, alot of people are currently having a height craze. Where they're undergoing surgery on their legs to extend their length. How can normal average citizens afford this? I have no clue. But obviously, there's a huge market that already exists in China for the desire to increase height. And this is how China have pursued the industry to satisfy the mass desire of the populace to increase a person's height

But, my question is, as huge the potential for the market for people who want to lose weight, there's a huge potential market for people who want to gain height, for men and women alike.

And Bovine Growth Hormone came so close, to achieving that. For the entire skeletal structure, every bone grows in syncrony, so that the person, having gained height, doesn't look abnormal, but like any regular tall dude or dudette. So, he passes as if he just continued to grow, no abnormally long legs like surgery would give him the appearance of.

If not for the bone cancer and the extra space in the head, failed growth of the brain to compensate for the additional space, to go along with the bone growth.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:29 pm

User avatar Growth is actually quite a fascinating thing. Boys and girls will experience a growth spurt during puberty where they will gain a significant amount of height. After this growth spurt, both boys and girls will continue to grow, but generally only a little more-they won't be growing 6 or 7 inches more.

The reason for this lies in the growth plates, as you have suggested. The same hormones that induce puberty and the growth spurt also induce growth plate closure. Once the growth plates are closed, growth is essentially finished. Growth hormone can be given to children before their growth plates are closed to induce some growth; however, after their growth plates close it becomes inneffective.

To my knowledge, there are no current treatments for short stature as an adult. I am also not aware of any research in that area.

Hope this helps address your questions.
 cyberghost115 - Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:19 am

Hey,

I am an 18 year old male and am fairly confident that I am done growing. My doctor claimed I would hit about 5'11, he was right. I am about 5'10-1/2"

I have heard/read some articles on growth..childishly hoping perhaps, that I may find a product that works and grow at least 3-4 in to hit a little over 6 ft. Some sites/companies/ doctors claim the growth plates close around early 20's, some say it occurs earlier. Which is more accurate?

Call me stupid, but do growth pills work? Do any of them work? Is it right to reject all who claim their's works? Many websites CLAIM research and tests prove their items can cause growth anywhere from 2 to 6+ in. without side effects and with full skeletor and muscle growth along with height, in an even, 'natural' growth spurt (allowing for a natural look, and keeping stress off your body with an even growth). Sorry for the repetition, I only seek to be accurate in what I am trying to express.

Does anyone have an answer to these questions?
I would really appreciate it.

~Ghost~

Isn't it possible though, to arouse growth hormones and get a few more in. in before the plates close for good?
 Dr. A. Saif - Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:34 am

User avatar There are no exercises or pharmaceutical remedies that will increase height after the growth plates have fused. Growth hormones applied after the growth plates have fused result in a condition called acromegally, resulting in coarse features and other problems.

I know that height is an issue for many people. It is question of "body image", I guess, and as an orthopaedic surgeon, I generally advise against height adjustment procedures. This does give significant risk to someone who is otherwise healthy.

Having said that, many people feel that will be more attractive, have better career prospects etc and are willing to accept these risks. Surgical limb lengthening procedures are usually directed towards the femurs and tibiae, breaking the bones, and gradually pulling them longer using either frames or expanding intra-medullary nails.. Over-lengthening produces a disproportionate body, with long legs and short looking trunks. Risks are many, but too often brushed aside by both patients and clinicians who are eager to please. Counselling is very important.

|