Question: pinky toe fracture into joint, what to do?

jbertz23 - Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:22 am

A little over a month ago I broke my pinky toe (or so i assumed) since it was the pinky toe I figured I didn't need to go to the hospital, to just ice the area, elevate it and buddy tape the toes. After a month went by the toe was still swollen, bruised and painful (it was also still twisted 90 degrees to the left). so i decided to see a doctor. He diagnosed it has fractured and that it was fractured down the bone as well as across and went into my joint. I was told my options were a cast, a flat soled shoe or surgery to place a pin in my toe. I chose the flat soled shoe but am starting to rethink my choice. could you explain my options further? What is the length of time the cast needs to be kept on? how flexible is it? which is the best choice for healing? any idea the general cost of the surgery? (i do have cigna health insurance) any information you could give me would be great!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:05 am

User avatar Hi jbertz23,
Fractures are difficult to heal unless there is stabilization to the affected area. When there is a lack of stabilization the opportunity for shifting of bone occurs. Typically the shoe is not flexible and can be removed for showering etc. A cast, generally speaking, is placed for 4-6 weeks. The cost for surgery would depend on the physician and outpatient procedure department of your area hospital. Inquire with your insurance company as to their general coverage for such procedures. Best wishes.

|