News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Pain Post Tibial Intramedullary Nail Removal

ChrisP123 - Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:22 pm

Hi, I am a 45 year old, male, reasonably fit albeit slightly overweight but not obese. I walk 3 miles per day at least and exercise once or twice per week. Broke right leg (spiral fracture of tib just above ankle and broken top of fib) skiing Jan 05 in France and experienced excellent repair and text book recovery (according to my Consultant). Previous year fell off ladder and jarred same knee with possible mensiscus damage.
Had intramedullary tib nail removed mid-Sept 06. Op went very well with no probs and full weight bearing immediately after. Signed off by Consultant but began experiencing infrequent (once or twice daily) intense and excrutiating stabbing pains in my knee in early Dec. Pain lasts for max of 30 secs then back to completely normal. No joint locking or anything like that and no apparent reason for it occurring. Also cannot seem to affect pain by repositioning leg, bending it or anything else. Consultant thinks it could be nerve damage or something similar. I would be grateful for any thoughts or suggestions. If no thoughts other than nerve regrowth, how long does this take and is there anything that can be done?[/b]
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:44 am

User avatar You may, indeed, be experiencing some nerve type pain as the area heals. There is a syndrome known as reflex sympathetic dystrophy that essentially is nerve pain as the nerves regenerate. It doesn't tend to be the episodic, intense, short-lived pain (at least according to the few patients I've seen with it) but this may be what's going on in your case.

I would recommend that you contact your orthopedist if the pain is not getting better soon or if it gets worse.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here