Forum Name: Bone infections

Question: Right leg aches/lump by fibula

dorsey_247 - Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:33 pm

My right leg aches constantly, except at night when I'm lying down. It is swollen and it has a lump by the fibula bone, what could this be?
 Dr. Paula Fontaine - Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:29 pm

User avatar I would suggest consulting an orthopedist or podiatrist so that the leg can be xrayed. A CT scan and/or MRI might also be ordered to better visualize the bones and soft tissues in the area of the lump. Has the area of the lump been injured recently ? A lump in the soft tissues could be in the skin, in the fat under the skin, or in the muscle and could represent many things such as an infection, a blood clot, a 'knot' in the muscles , a benign growth in any of the above tissues, or (unlikely but possible) something more ominous. You didn't mention the size of the lump or how long it has been present.
Does it move freely when you touch it or does it seem to be adhered to deeper structures? Again, the best approach is to have a professional look at it and get a thorough history from you- then get xrays and other scans as needed to diagnose.
Hope this helps.

|