Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Very Bad posture

back_pain_be_gone - Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:07 pm

I am a 25 year old male, who at abt the age of 15 started to slouch due to lack of self confidence... and thru the years its gotten worse. but in the past 3 years ive been very concerned with my posture and the good thing is its not getting worse. However due to living in a low incoming single parent household, i was unable to get my back checked out..all my reg doc said was to do certain exercises.. Now my question is, now that I have insurance and can afford to see a chiropractor I wonder if my back is so out of wack if its too late to be corrected? I have been working out alot and it seems that has helped a little but when I bend over to pick something up or i leg me arms hang down it appers im almost hunched back and its very depressing to see that in the mirror...so agian my question is .... Is it too late to have great posture with out any kinds of dramatic help such as surgery???
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:40 am

User avatar It is very likely that you will be able to recover from your bad posture. As with most things in medicine, this takes time. Physical therapy and strenght training along with stretching will likely do the trick.

There are some devices that can be worn that are essentially like wearing a rubberband to help remind you to bring your shoulders back until you get into the habit of this. These can be helpful for some people and not so helpful for others.

|