News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Very Bad posture

back_pain_be_gone - Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:07 pm

I am a 25 year old male, who at abt the age of 15 started to slouch due to lack of self confidence... and thru the years its gotten worse. but in the past 3 years ive been very concerned with my posture and the good thing is its not getting worse. However due to living in a low incoming single parent household, i was unable to get my back checked out..all my reg doc said was to do certain exercises.. Now my question is, now that I have insurance and can afford to see a chiropractor I wonder if my back is so out of wack if its too late to be corrected? I have been working out alot and it seems that has helped a little but when I bend over to pick something up or i leg me arms hang down it appers im almost hunched back and its very depressing to see that in the mirror...so agian my question is .... Is it too late to have great posture with out any kinds of dramatic help such as surgery???
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:40 am

User avatar It is very likely that you will be able to recover from your bad posture. As with most things in medicine, this takes time. Physical therapy and strenght training along with stretching will likely do the trick.

There are some devices that can be worn that are essentially like wearing a rubberband to help remind you to bring your shoulders back until you get into the habit of this. These can be helpful for some people and not so helpful for others.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here