Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Shoulder Dislocation

tc007 - Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:48 am

Thanks for reading this:

The first time that my shoulder came off is once i stumble when snowboarding, i used my two hands to support my body, i can barely hear the crack sound that came from my right shoulder. Before that, i was not noticed that my shoulder is already loosed until in a basketball game, my shoulder came off when i put my arm backward in a powerful position. The latest case is that when i woke up in a morning, i used my right arm to push me up to stand, and my arm is at a backward position and it came off, that was the longest time (about 10 seconds) that I used to push it back to the original position. My shoulder has been dislocated for 6 times, so I went for two doctors to see what happen to my shoulder, and he told me to do a x-ray first on my shoulder, but it showed my shoulder is in a good condition, but after my shoulder came off about the 6th time (the woke up one ), i phoned to the first doctor, and he suggest me to do a surgery to fix it on the phone and without seeing my shoulder condition. But you know, as a patient, we would want to get the best suggestion, so i went for another doctor, i explained my shoulder condition to him, he moved my arm in 360 degrees and asked me if there was any pain that you felt when i moved your arm, then i said no, cause i really feeling nothing as usual. Afterward, he said there is no need for you to do a surgery, cause the problem is about the membrance between the bone, is tore, and he suggest me to protect my shoulder,and stop any exercise like basketball, football, which will cause your shoulder come off again. Now, i am just struggling by these two different advises from my two doctors, one is take a open surgery, the other is to protect my shoulder for 1 year from coming off and doing some exercise to strengthen the muscle that cover the joint which will make it more stable. If any person or doctor or any one who experienced from this, give me some advises for dislocation. Actually, i know my shoulder is not as bad as some people who come off easily. Cause my second doctor said the membrane is not easily recover around your shoulder, but should i listen to my second doctor to rest my shoulder for a year or more and do some exercises to strength the muscle around the shoulder PLEASE GIVE ME SOME SOLUTION OR TREATMENT ABOUT MY SITUATION,---------Your suggestion will make a difference
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:02 am

User avatar In general, I recommend against surgery if other treatment is possible. It is reasonable to try the physical therapy and limitations in activity to give your shoulder a chance to heal.

If these do not work, or you later decide you would like to pursue surgery, you can discuss surgical treatments with your orthopedic surgeon.

There are some cases such as yours that do not improve with physical therapy but it is difficult to say which ones will not get better. As such, giving PT a try is a reasonable strategy.

Keep in mind that I am not an orthopedic surgeon so your surgeon may have information/knowledge about your injury that I do not. So, if your surgeon is recommending surgery you should discuss the reasoning for this to allow you to make the best informed decision.

Hope this helps.

|